Call them Operating Room Technicians, surgical scrubs, or Surgical Room Assistants, but if you call them, they are right there!
OT Technicians are medical professionals who play a significant role in the operation theatre.
They are a vital part of the operating unit that consists of Surgeons, Nurses, Anaesthesiologists and patients to ensure successful surgical procedures. They also assist patients with quality care before, during, and after surgery.
As the medical field gets more technically advanced and astute, the need for qualified professionals in the sector has increased. The increase in the demand has opened broad avenues for future scope after pursuing courses in OT Technology.
Pursue an Operation Theatre Technician course as you can do it by paying affordable fees and acquiring skills that are in high-demand.
Scope of an OT Technician:
The scope of an OT Technologist is bright and varied. Here are the top 5 reasons why you must pursue an OT Technician course:
- Diverse Job Areas: OT Technicians are hired in several job areas. Some of the top sectors that offer lucrative jobs are government & private hospitals, clinics, pharmaceutical companies, colleges and universities, etc.
- Boundless Learning: The job role of OT Technician requires working with highly qualified professionals. They become a lot more spontaneous and qualified while at work.
- Personal Attributes: Several interpersonal skills are enhanced as an Operation Theatre Technician. Students become more alert, level-headed, accountable, emphatic and much more.
- High Demand: The demand for qualified technicians in the OT room has increased tremendously. Experts predict that the job opportunities will increase by 7% in this decade.
- Top Recruiters: Students get placed in top hospitals like AIIMS, Apollo, MAX, Fortis, etc. They experience a rewarding and satisfying job.
How to Become an OT Technician?
A career as an OT technician is gaining a lot of popularity. The procedure to become one can broadly be divided into the following 3 steps:
- Candidates must complete 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as core subjects from a recognized board and attain the minimum required marks.
- After their 10+2, they can pursue a Diploma or a UG Program in Operation Theatre Technology.
- After graduating with a Bachelor's Degree, they can go for a PG Program in the field to gain more knowledge and skills.
- After completing the above-mentioned steps, students will be eligible for jobs in the medical field as a qualified operation theatre technician.
OT Technician Course & Eligibility:
OT technology courses include several topics like Clinical Microbiology, Medicine Outline, Anesthetic Techniques, CSSD Procedures, Medical Ethics, Operating Medical Equipment, etc.
The fundamentals of operational and medical procedures, equipment management and administration skills are imparted based on the level of the course.
Explore the top programs in OT technology and their eligibility at top colleges in India.
|Eligibility||Candidates must complete 10+2 in the science stream from a recognized board and match the required cut-off.|
|Duration ||2 Years|
|Approximate Annual Course Fee (INR)||5,000 to 5,00,000|
|Duration ||3 Years|
|Approximate Annual Course Fee (INR)||50,000 to 10,00,000|
|Eligibility||Candidates must graduate from a Bachelor's program in the relevant discipline and match the required cut-off for admissions|
|Duration ||2 Years|
|Approximate Annual Course Fee (INR)||20,000 to 2,50,000|
Allied Health Science Colleges in Karnataka:
To become an Operation Theatre Technician, it is essential to pursue education from top colleges.
Here is the list of the top 5 Colleges in Karnataka that offer several allied health science courses:
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore
- JSS Medical College and Hospital (JSSMCH), Mysore
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Bangalore
- KS Hegde Medical Academy, Mangalore
- Jain (Deemed-to-be) University, Bangalore
The key skills required to become an OT Technologist are as follows:
- Organizing and Coordination
- Critical Thinking
- Machinery Aptitude
- Operation Theatre Procedures
- Communication Skills
- Team Work
Role of OT Technicians:
Operation Theatre Technicians play a significant role in the most crucial time and scenarios.
Here are the top roles and responsibilities of an OTT:
- Maintain a healthy, safe and aseptic environment in the operation theatre.
- Efficiently manage and handle the surgical equipment and tools.
- Provide technical support and intra-operative assistance.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous waste.
- Ensure that radiation, infection control and other safety measures are followed.
- Assist the anaesthetist during emergencies.
- Preparing and locating patients to and from the operation theatre.
- Multi-task at the time of emergency and establish smooth functioning at the OT.
- Ensure the availability of diagnosis and medical supplies.
- Maintaining and monitoring the quality in the OT room.
OT Technician Salary:
The annual OT Technician salary is in the range of INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000. Candidates can grab attractive packages depending on their role, merit, knowledge, experience, responsibilities and several other factors.
After pursuing OT technology courses, students are not restricted to the role of an OT Technician, they can also explore different job profiles like:
- OT Technologist
- Surgical Lab Technician
- OT Assistant
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Teacher/ Lecturer
Work in one of the most important units in a hospital along with the best surgeons by pursuing top operation technology courses in India.
Now that you know how to become an OT Technician, enroll in one of the top colleges in Karnataka and thread a reputed and rewarding career in the healthcare sector.