The sky is NOT your limit!
"Flying into outer space on an adventurous journey to serve science and the country."
Having similar career goals makes an Astronaut the most appropriate career choice.
Astronauts are part of missions with a goal to "harness space technology for national development while pursuing space science research and planetary exploration."
If you are harnessing the same goal as the ones mentioned above, then you should turn your interest in outer space into a renowned career choice.
Learn how to become an astronaut in India after 12th and launch your career in space travel as an astronaut.
Interesting Facts about Astronauts:
- Astronauts can grow around 3% taller in space as there is no gravitational force that compresses the spine. They get back to their initial height a few months after landing on earth.
- "Astronauts" literally means "star sailors" in Latin.
- They must compulsorily know to read and speak fluent Russian to be on an International Space station.
- Outer space gyms are built inside spacecraft for astronauts to prevent loss of bone or muscle.
- They may experience days to be 2.9% longer on mars and see 16 sunrises and sunsets per day.
How to become an Astronaut in India?
To pursue a career as an astronaut, you need to understand the eligibility, qualification, courses, and know about astronaut colleges in India.
Let's look into the essential details on how to become an astronaut in India.
Eligibility for becoming an Astronaut in India:
Candidates need to meet the specific eligibility criteria to become an astronaut. Here are some of the required criteria:
- Candidates require a Bachelor's, Master's, or a Ph.D degree in the field of Science, Technology, Engineering (Aeronautical/ Aerospace), or Mathematics (STEM) from a recognized board.
- The candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
- Gender does not cause any hindrance. A candidate can be a man or woman.
- There is no age limitation to become an astronaut.
The candidate should be medically fit in various criteria like weight, height, health, etc., to endure any circumstances in the space. The acceptability remains the same irrespective of gender.
- ISRO hasn't intimated the particular height, weight, or eyesight, even though the astronauts need to be in good proportionate shape with their height and weight.
- There is no confirmation on the medical requirements as well but candidates need to have an ideal visual acuity and normal satisfactory medical history.
Other Essential Requirements:
- Command on Language: Fluency in English and Russian will serve as a great skill as astronauts need to communicate with foreign people.
- Mental Strength: Candidates must be Psychologically strong. They must know how to multitask, be observant and keep calm in an emergency situation.
- Flying Practice: Candidates should have adequate flying practice to qualify as an astronaut. Flying practise acts as an asset for candidate's selection during the process.
Astronaut Courses in India:
Several astronaut courses in India polish existing knowledge and increase the interest and career options of the candidates.
Here are some of the courses:
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Astrophysics
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Aeronautics
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Space Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Mechanical Engineering
The astronaut course fees may vary based on the chosen course and college. Average astronaut course fees in India ranges between Rs. 2 to Rs. 5 Lakh per annum.
Scope of an Astronaut in India and Abroad:
- There is versatility in the job and rich opportunities for growth.
- Astronauts get the opportunity to see outer space.
- It is one of the most adventurous and prestigious jobs.
- Astronauts are accepted internationally in countries like the USA, China, Russia, etc.
Astronaut salary in India can range approximately between INR 9 to 14 Lakhs per annum. The astronaut salary in India depends on the experience, skillset, designation, performance, consistency, initiative, and overall contribution.
Indian Space and Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch a space mission in 2022, creating immense opportunities for astronauts in india. With the advancement of technology and science, soon the job opportunities for astronauts will bloom in India.
Astronaut Colleges in India:
Candidates who want to "board a successful flight" in this field can pursue their passion from some of the best astronaut colleges in India.
Here are the top colleges to study astronaut courses:
- Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati
- Bihar Institute of Technology (BIT), Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Mumbai
- Institute Of Aeronautical & Marine Engineering (IAME), Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering (IIAE), Dehradun
Top 5 Colleges in Karnataka:
Karnataka is home to many space scientists and no doubt the state has some of the best colleges for this field.
Here are the top 5 colleges in Karnataka that offer the best education for astronaut aspirants:
- Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Bangalore:
IISC is known for higher education and research in science, engineering, design, and management.
- Institute of Aeronautical & Marine Engineering (IAME), Bangalore:
Established by the Aeronautical and IT Foundation Educational Trust (IAME) is known for its aeronautical education.
- Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT), Manipal:
MIT has 17 academic departments and grants undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- BMS College of Engineering (BMSCE), Bangalore:
BMSCE is affiliated with Visvesvaraya Technological University and became autonomous in 2008. It is popular for its academics and research in space.
- RV College of Engineering (RVCE), Bangalore:
Established in 1963, RVCE is an autonomous private technical co-educational college with excellent faculty and study environment.
Now that you know how to become an astronaut in India after 12th, invest yourself in becoming a successful one. Contribute to the advancement of science, mankind, and country.
Enroll yourself in top colleges for space education and make the best of your skills to launch your career as an astronaut.