Food is the basis of existence. Everyone needs food, but precisely everyone needs GOOD FOOD!
Cooking is not as simple as it appears; it is an art that needs mastery. From cleaning the ingredients to placing them on a plate, executing a single dish requires aspiration and precision.
In the words of Wolfgang Puck, "Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many colours or notes respectively, there are only so many flavors- it's how you combine them that sets you apart."
Preparing a dish indeed requires a mere understanding of the ratio and proportions of the ingredients. Every dish is cooked with imagination, improvisation, and experimentation by using at most creativity.
Want to get into the artistic field of culinary arts? Here is your complete recipe for a rewarding career. Delve into all the details about the course, scope, and colleges.
What is a Culinary Course?
A culinary course is a study of food production and serving. It teaches in detail about preparing, cooking, and presenting food.
It also includes the operational, technical, and managerial skills to excel in the culinary field.
The course focuses on executing all the aspects of cooking efficiently and attractively.
Scope of Culinary Arts:
The diverse scope of culinary arts furnishes a gratifying bright career. Here are the insights:
Studying further after Bachelors can be the best option to become proficient in the skill sets and broaden the knowledge about the field.
Courses like Master's and Postgraduate Diploma can sharpen and enhance the capabilities of cooking and managing.
Candidates can check out some of the best culinary colleges in Bangalore that provide higher education scope.
The hospitality industry is one of the fastest-growing sectors. While travel and tourism have recently faced a downfall, the food industry continues to flourish.
It offers a variety of reliable job opportunities to skilled candidates. One can never struggle to find employment and rather might have to choose from the varied pool.
Cooking is an art that needs creativity and innovation. It is one of the few professions where no 2 days would be the same. Chefs have to come with diverse dishes for distinct customers.
Chefs have their liberty to experiment and introduce new concepts and ideas for food, each day. They can broaden their skills and portfolio while at work.
Versatile Career Opportunity:
The field of culinary art offers versatility and flexibility in career. It provides abundant opportunities which result in advancement in terms of both career and finance.
There is no such thing as a dead-end job in this sector. Aspirants climb the industry ladder through their skills and reap various benefits.
They can travel around the world, partner with top-level hotels, or collaborate with big culinary companies.
Interpersonal Skill development:
Several interpersonal skills such as adaptation and innovation are highly developed in the culinary field.
Food is closely intertwined with culture. By learning culinary, one understands and appreciates various cultures, which build empathy and compassion for others and their practices.
Work Around the World:
Expert culinary professionals are sought after in most countries. Chefs have the opportunity to travel and cook around the world.
These opportunities are even broader when you study a cookery course from a top culinary arts school in India.
More Reasons To Choose Culinary Art:
- The food scene is thriving not only in India but abroad as well. Plenty of job opportunities are being created for skilled culinary professionals globally.
- Now, more than ever, people are inclined towards healthy, nutritious, and well-presented food. This increases job opportunities and responsibilities.
- You can contribute to a sustainable world by using your knowledge and teaching people how to use leftover food and reduce waste.
A career as a chef opens avenues for dynamic job prospects. Here is a list of the job areas and career opportunities.
Following are the relevant job areas that hire culinary professionals:
- Catering Companies
- Cruise Ships
- Cafeterias in Hospitals and Schools, etc.
The career opportunities in culinary are varied. Here is a list of some of the popular job roles:
- Sous Chef
- Catering Manager
- Food Stylist
- Culinary Artist
- Food Blogger
- Food & Beverage Controller
- Café Attendant
- Hotel/ Restaurant Manager
- Food Manufacturer
- Food Consultant and many more.
The salary in the culinary field depends on the experience, skillset, performance, consistency, initiative, and overall contribution of an individual.
The average starting salary in India(INR) is approximately between Rs. 2.4 to Rs. 4.8 lakhs per annum.
Eligibility For Culinary:
The eligibility for culinary courses are as listed below:
- For undergraduate courses, candidates must have completed 10+2 in any stream from a recognized board. Also, they should have secured a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
- Postgraduate courses require candidates to complete their graduation from a recognized university in India with a minimum of 50% score or equivalent CGPA.
Here are some of the popular best chef's courses to hone your skills and make a career in this industry:
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Culinary Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Culinary Arts
- Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc) in Culinary Operations
- Bachelor of Catering Technology & Culinary Arts (BCTCA)
The duration of these undergraduate courses is 3 years.
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Culinary Arts
- Diploma in Culinary Arts
The duration for master's is 2 years, while the duration for a Diploma depends on the institute.
Aspirants can also pursue certificate courses in Culinary art. They are offered through online platforms.
Skill Set Requirement:
Skills required to pursue culinary or cookery courses are as follows:
- Knowledge of food ingredients
- Attention to detail
- Good sense of flavors
- Adaptability and creativity
- Basic cooking skills
- Good decision-making skills
- Multitasking abilities
- Customer-oriented approach
- Pleasant and polite attitude
- Commitment towards cooking
Top 5 Culinary Arts School in India:
To pursue a career in culinary, you must enroll in the best chef's courses from a top culinary arts school.
Learn from the best teachers who share their wealth of knowledge, experience, give inside advice and train you to be successful in the culinary world.
Enroll in one of these top 5 culinary art Schools in India.
- Symbiosis School of Culinary Arts, Pune
- Hotel & Catering Management Institute (HCMI), Chandigarh
- UEI Global Rohini, New Delhi
- University School Of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Rayat Bahra University (USHMCT), Mohali
- Mangalayatan University (MU), Aligarh
Culinary Colleges in Bangalore:
Bangalore houses various culinary colleges too. Apart from offering culinary courses, these colleges also provide BHM courses for eligible students.
Here is a list of top colleges offering both culinary arts and BHM courses:
- Acharya Institute of Management and Sciences (AIMS)
- SJES College of Management Studies
- ASK Institute of Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts
- M.S. Ramaiah College of Hotel Management
- International Institute of Hotel Management
Learn from experienced chefs and hospitality sector specialists at these culinary colleges in Bangalore and prepare a flavourful and successful career for yourself.
The hospitality industry is vast and welcoming as it offers various courses like catering technology, tourism, hotel management, culinary, etc.
A career as a chef offers at most eternal satisfaction of cooking for others and rewarding career prospects.
As Chef Marco Pierre White says, "knowledge will be your passport to wherever you want to go in the world." Study from a top culinary art school in Bangalore and carve your way towards a successful career worldwide.
Be a great cook that adds life to any recipe and makes it worth a lot of appreciation and money.
Enroll in a top culinary art school to make the most of your skills and become the master of cuisines. Get in touch with the best admission guidance experts who shall guide you with the right recipes for a successful career in the hospitality industry.