University Grant Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET)
|UGC NET 2021 Exam Date||October 6th to 8th & 17th to 19th, 2021|
|Exam Name||University Grant Commission National Eligibility Test|
|Common Name||UGC NET|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Exam Level ||National Level Exam|
What Is UGC NET?
University Grant Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) is a national-level entrance exam for students aspiring to become professors or assistant professors in colleges and universities in India.
Candidates passing these examinations can take up the post of Assistant Professors and Junior Research Fellowship.
- UGC NET Exam Dates
- Exam Centres
- UGC NET Syllabus and Books
- Exam Pattern
- Preparation Tips
- UGC NET Admit Card
- UGC NET Results
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
Aspirants can participate in active research in various fields. They can be selected for any 1 of the positions and not both.
UGC NET 2021 exam date will be conducted in October 6th to 8th & 17th to 19th, 2021. The registration process for the same will start on February 2nd, 2021 and go up till March 9th, 2021.
Admit card and result dates will be released soon. Candidates applying for this exam must have completed their master's program with at least 55% marks or equivalent.
Other than this, candidates applying for Junior Research Fellowship have to be below 30 years of age. Those applying for the Assistant Professors post need not have to adhere to any age limit.
NTA UGC NET Exam Details:
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|Total Number of Subjects||81|
|Maximum Number of Attempts|
Junior Research Fellowship (Unlimited attempts upto 31 years of age)
Assistant Professors (Unlimited attempts throughout lifetime)
UGC NET Exam Dates:
|UGC NET 2021 Registration Dates||February 2nd to September 5th, 2021 (Till 11:50 PM)|
|Last Date for Fee Payment||September 6th, 2021|
|Correction Window||September 7th to 12th, 2021|
|UGC NET Admit Cards||To be Announced|
|UGC NET 2021 Exam Dates||October 6th to 8th & 17th to 19th, 2021|
|Results||To be Announced|
UGC NET Registration:
Candidates can follow the below-mentioned process to register for the exam:
Step 1: Candidates have to visit the official website of NTA and click on UGC NET Registration.
Step 2: They have to click on New Registration and fill up the required details.
Step 3: Candidates have to submit the information.
Step 4: They will receive an application number and password on their registered email id and mobile number.
Candidates have to use this application number and password to login into their UGC NET dashboard.
How to fill the UGC NET Application Form?
Step 1: Candidates need to visit the NTA official website and click on the UGC NET 2021.
Step 2: They need to login using their credentials.
Step 3: Candidates need to fill in the required information along with their supporting documents.
Step 4: After filling up the information, candidates have to select their preferred exam centres.
Step 5: Candidates have to upload the relevant documents.
Step 6: Further, they need to pay the registration fee and submit the application form.
UGC NET 2021 Registration Fees:
|Category||Fee (In Rs.)|
|General EWS and OBC||500|
|ST, SC, PwD, and Transgender||250|
Dimension: 4.5 cm X 3.5 cm
Size: 10 KB to 200 KB
Dimension: 6 cm X 2 cm
Size: 4 KB to 30 KB
UGC NET Exam Centres:
UGC NET Syllabus & Books:
Paper 1 Syllabus:
Paper 1 is a common paper which aspirants for every subject have to answer. Following are the topics under Paper 1:
|Communication||People & Environment |
|Research Aptitude ||Higher Education System: Governance, Polity, and Administration|
|Teaching Aptitude||Information & Communication Technology|
|Reading Comprehension||Data Interpretation|
Paper 2 Syllabus:
Paper 2 will have subject-specific as chosen by the candidates. Candidates can choose up to 81 subjects for which they can pursue a Junior Research Fellowship or an Assistant Professor's role.
Books for UGC NET:
|Books ||Author(s)/ Publishers|
|UGC NET/JRF/SLET General Paper-1 Teaching & Research Aptitude||Arihant Experts|
|Guide on UGC NET||Dr. M.S. Ansari & RPH Editorial Board|
|UGC-NET (Paper-I) 50 Practice Papers||Ramesh Publishing House|
|UGC NET/SET Paper 1||McGraw Hill Education|
|Trueman's UGC NET/SET General Paper I||M. Gagan and Sajit Kumar|
For Paper 2, candidates can pick up the relevant study materials for their preferred subjects and prepare accordingly.
UGC NET Exam Pattern:
|Paper Type||Objective-Based Questions|
Total 3 Hours (Paper 1: 1 Hour
Paper 2: 2 Hours)
|Total Number of Questions|
Paper 1: 50 Questions
Paper 2: 100 Questions
Paper 1: 100
Paper 2: 200
+2 for the Correct Answer
No Deductions for Wrong Answer (No Negative Marking)
UGC NET Exam Preparation Tips:
Candidates have to follow the below-mentioned UGC NET exam preparation tips:
- Strategies Help Ace EXAMS:
Acing exams require a strategy and candidates should formulate that properly. They can try out different permutations and combinations to prepare a strategy that suits their preparation style.
It's not only about studying correctly, candidates should time their preparation process suitably to gain the maximum results.
- RIGHT Resources Matter:
Candidates should get hold of the right resources that shall help them ace the examination. It will help prepare and strategize better.
Among the right resources, it can be the right set of books, mock tests, and even mentors.
- Mock UP your Preparation Process:
Candidates should give regular mocks to align themselves with the exam pattern and the types of questions asked. They should subscribe to popular mock tests and finalize their answering strategy.
- Revision makes Exam Scores Better:
Revision forms an important part of any exam preparation process. They should revise according to a plan to not leave out on any topic and score well in the examination.
- Maintain Proper Health:
Candidates should maintain a proper health of theirs by being physically as well as mentally fit.
They shouldn't ignore their health by putting in a proper diet and exercising regime.
UGC NET Admit Card:
Candidates can download the UGC NET admit card by following the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the official website of NTA.
Step 2: Candidates have to click on the link for UGC NET Admit Card.
Step 3: They have to login and download the admit card.
Step 4: Candidates should proof check the admit card for the correct details and then download it.
Candidates have to carry the Admit Card along with their Government approved ID card to the exam centre.
UGC NET Results:
Candidates have to download the below-mentioned steps to download the UGC NET results:
Step 1: Visit the official website of NTA.
Step 2: Candidates have to click on the UGC NET result link.
Step 3: They have to login using their Registration Number and password.
Step 4: The scorecard will be displayed on their screens.
Step 5: They can go through it and download it if the details mentioned are correct.
UGC NET 2021 Counselling:
Qualifying candidates can apply for the UGC NET counselling process on the official website of NTA.
They are required to use the following documents for the counselling sessions:
- Counselling Letter (Photocopy & Original)
- Admit Card (Original & Photocopy)
- Caste Certificates & Other Documents all signed by the Authorized Authorities
- Payment Details
- Provisional & Original Degree Certificate
- Hall Ticket/ Scorecard
- Candidate's Medical Documents.
- Class Xth & XIIth Certificates (Original & Photocopy)
- Passport Size Photographs (Black and White)
- What are the future career prospects after UGC NET?
- After pursuing UGC NET, one can be the following:
b) Head of Department
c) Assistant Professor
- When are the UGC NET exam dates for 2021?
- UGC NET 2021 will be conducted in October 6th to 8th & 17th to 19th, 2021.
- What is the minimum eligibility criteria for appearing in the UGC NET Exam?
- Students who have secured a minimum of 55% marks in one of the 100 subjects listed on UGC NET's website are eligible to apply. SC/ ST/ PwD/ OBC sections who have secured at least 50% marks in their Master's degree are also eligible to apply and give the UGC NET exam.
- What is the full mark for UGC NET 2021?
- The full mark for UGC NET 2021 is 600.
- Is the Aadhaar document a mandatory document for the UGC NET Exam?
- No, it's not a mandatory requirement at all. One can also provide other government IDs like passport numbers, etc.
- Will the NTA UGC NET Exam be conducted online or offline?
- It's a computer-based test conducted only in online mode.
- Is there any negative marking in the UGC NET exam?
- There is no Negative Marking in the exam.
- Is there any sectional cut off in the NTA UGC NET exam?
- No, there is not any sectional cut off for this exam.
- Who will conduct the counselling session for UGC NET?
- Counselling session for UGC NET will be conducted by UGC.
- Into how many parts is the UGC NET exam divided?
- The UGC NET exam is divided into 2 parts. Part 1's duration is 1 hour while Part 2's duration is 2 hours.
Candidates have to meet the following General UGC NET eligibility criteria:
- Aspirants have to score a minimum of 55% in their Master's programme. They must have done a Master's from a known university/ institute. Students from SC/ ST/ OBC/ PwD must have got at least 50%
- The Masters must have been pursued only in the preferred subject for which they will answer UGC NET.
- Final year students can also apply, given the condition that they complete their postgraduate studies before the announcement of the UGC result.
- JRF aspirants must not be more than 30 years.
- For the women or aspirants belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC/ PwD, the conducting body has given some relaxation.
- Candidates holding research experience are given relaxation for their research on the subject they chose during their postgraduate study.
Assistant Professor Eligibility:
- For AP, there is a fixed upper age limit.
- Ph.D. holders or Ph.D. pursuing candidates do not have to think about minimum eligibility criteria.