Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET)
|TISSNET Date||February 26, 2022|
|Name of the Examination||Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test|
|Conducting Body||Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai|
|Frequency of the Exam||Once a Year|
|Exam Level||National Level Exam|
What is TISSNET?
Tata Institute of Social Science National Entrance Test or TISSNET is a national level entrance examination conducted by TISS, Mumbai.
The exam allows students to seek admissions into various postgraduate programs at the Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS).
- Courses Offered by TISSNET Campuses
- Exam Details
- TISSNET Exam Dates
- TISSNET Registration
- TISSNET Exam Fees
- Exam Centres
- TISSNET Syllabus and Books
- Exam Pattern
- TISSNET Preparation Tips
- Admit Card
- Selection Procedure
- Eligibility Criteria
TISS is Asia's oldest institute catering towards the field of Human Resources, Labour Relations and professional education in Social Work.
It was set-up by the Dorabji Tata Trust and has nurtured numerous candidates in these fields.
TISS offers a range of Master's Degree programs in 4 of its campuses: Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad, and Guwahati.
Courses Offered by TISSNET Campuses:
The main campus has got a total of 805 seats for the following courses:
|MA||Human Resources Management and Labour Relations/ Globalisation and Labour/ Social Work in Mental Health/ Social Work in Community Organization and Development Practice/ Development Studies/ Women Studies/ Education (Elementary)/ Media and/ Cultural Studies/ |
|MA in Social Work||Disability Studies and Action/ Public Health/ Criminology and Justice/ Livelihood and Social Entrepreneurship/ Women Centred Practice/ Dalit and Tribal Studies and Action/|
|MPH||Social Epidemiology/ Health Policy, Economics, and Finance|
|MA/ M.Sc||Climate Change and Sustainability Studies/ Regulatory Governance/ Water Policy and Governance/ Disaster Management|
|Other Programs||M.Lib.I.Sc/ LLM in Access to Justice/ Master of Health Administration (MHA)/ Master of Hospital Administration (MHA)|
|Online Programs||MA (Social Work in Child Rights/ International Family Studies)|
The Hyderabad campus offers 90 seats for the following courses:
|Human Resource Management||Development Studies|
|Women Studies||Rural Development and Governance|
|Education||Public Policy and Governance|
|Natural Resources & Governance||-|
TISS, Guwahati offers the below-mentioned range of courses for 155 seats:
|MA||Ecology, Environment and Sustainable Development/ Labour Studies and Social Protection/ Sociology and Social Anthropology/ Peace and Conflict Studies|
|MA in Social Work|
Community Organization and Development Practices/ Public Health
Counselling/ Livelihood and Social Entrepreneurship
TISS Tuljapur has the lowest number of seats among all the campuses of TISS. It offers only 80 seats for the following courses:
|MA||Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship/ Social Work (Rural Development)|
|MA/ M.Sc||Development Policy, Planning, and Practice/ Sustainable Livelihood and Natural Resources Governance|
Many colleges in Bangalore also provide world-class courses in the field of Social Work and Human Resources.
Students can seek admissions in Bangalore and pursue this exciting and lucrative field.
Close to 40,000 candidates apply for TISSNET every year. TISSNET will be conducted on February 26, 2022.
Registration for the exam will begin on December 17, 2021.
To apply for the exam, candidates have to complete their bachelor's in any preferred field by scoring a minimum percentage of 50% or equivalent CGPA.
TISSNET Exam Details:
|Registration Mode||Online and Offline|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Medium of Exam||English |
|Total Number of Papers||1|
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Total Number of Sections||3|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Number of Options Per Question||4|
TISSNET Exam Dates:
|Events ||Dates |
|Registration Begins ||December 17, 2021|
February 10, 2022
|Last date for submission Offline TISSNET Application Form|
2nd week of February, 2022
|TISSNET Admit Card|
February 17- February 21, 2022
|TISSNET Exam |
February 26, 2022
March 23, 2022
|Online Personal Interview|
3rd Week of March 2022 onwards
|Final Merit List|
June 22, 2022
Candidates should note that they can apply for a maximum of 3 programs at 2 different TISS campuses during the registration process. Registration for the exam can be done in 2 modes.
Online TISSNET Registration:
Following are the steps to fill the TISSNET application form:
Step 1: Visit the official website of TISS.
Step 2: Candidates have to register their valid Email-ID. On doing this, they shall receive their Application ID and Password for TISSNET.
Step 3: After the successful registration, candidates have to enter their Details, Academic Details, and Work Experience Details on the application form.
Step 4: Candidates have to upload the necessary scanned documents to support the details provided.
Step 5: Choose the courses and the preferred TISS Campus.
Step 6: Selection of TISSNET Examination centres needs to be done in this step for which they can give a maximum of 3 preferences.
Step 7: Candidates have to pay the required registration fee for TISSNET and submit the application form.
Offline TISSNET Registration Process:
Following are the steps to fill the offline TISSNET application form:
Step 1: Candidates have to acquire the printed copies of the TISSNET Application form from the institute by sending an application request via Speed Post. The application fees should be sent along with the application request.
It should be sent to the following address:
Assistant Registrar (Academic),
Tata Institute of Social Sciences,
Deonar, Mumbai, Maharashtra- 400088
Step 2: When the candidates shall receive the hardcopy of the Application Form, Application ID and Password, they have to fill it by providing Personal Details, Academic Details, and Work Experience Details.
The course, college preference, and the TISSNET Examination Centres should be filled up appropriately.
Step 3: Candidates have to attach the necessary supporting documents for the information provided in the offline application form. The photograph should be attached and signed properly.
Candidates must ensure that the photocopies of the documents are attested by any Government Gazetted Officer.
Step 4: Candidates should now send the Application Form to the same address to which they had initially sent the application request for TISSNET.
TISSNET Exam Fees:
TISSNET Exam Fees for the online application process:
|Number of Programs||Fees for General Students (In Rs.)||Fees for SC, ST, and other reserved categories (In Rs.)|
TISSNET Exam Fees for the offline application process:
|Number of Programmes||Fees for General Students (In Rs.)||Fees for SC, ST, and other reserved categories (In Rs.)|
|1 Program||1000 + Bank Charges||250 + Bank Charges|
|2 Program||2000 + Bank Charges||500 + Bank Charges|
|3 Program||3000 + Bank Charges||750 + Bank Charges|
Candidates who are opting for the online application process can pay the fees through Debit Card, Credit Card, or Internet Banking.
Those going for the offline application process can pay the fees at SBI Bank Branches across the country. They need to keep the challan for further use during the process.
Candidates should have the following list of documents for both the processes. For the online process, they should have a scanned copy of the documents and a photocopy of the documents for those applying through the offline mode.
- Candidate's recent passport-size photograph
- Candidate's signature
- Class X Marksheet or Equivalent
- Class XII Marksheet or Equivalent
- Semester-wise Marksheet (For candidates who haven't completed their graduation)
- Graduation Marksheet (For candidates who have completed their graduation)
- Provisional Degree Certificate (Only for those candidates who have completed their graduation)
- Work Experience Details
- Caste Certificate (If Applicable)
- Income Details (For EWS category students)
- Other credible documents required for the Reserved candidates
TISSNET Exam Centres:
TISSNET Syllabus & Books:
Section A: English Proficiency
|Analogy||Correction of Errors|
|Rearranging the Sentences||Synonyms and Antonyms|
|Cloze Test||Pairing of Sentences|
Books for English Proficiency:
|Name of Books||Authors|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Nishit K Sinha|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|High School English Grammar & Composition||Wren & Martin|
|Objective English for Competitive Examination||Hari Mohan Prasad|
Section B: Mathematical Skills and Logical Reasoning
|Ratio and Proportion||Profit, Loss, and Discount|
|Time, Work, and Distance||Averages|
|Speed, Distance, and Time||Percentage|
|Simple and Compound Interest||Mixtures and Allegations|
|Number System||HCF and LCM|
|Permutation and Combination||Algebra|
|Clocks & Calendars||Sequence and Series|
|Arrangement Sets||Data Interpretation Sets|
|Graphs, Charts, and Tables||Set Theory|
Books for Mathematical Skills & English Proficiency:
|Name of Books||Authors|
|How to prepare for Quantitative||Arun Sharma |
|Quantitative Aptitude ||Nishit K Sinha|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation||Nishit K Sinha|
|How to Prepare for Data Interpretation||Arun Sharma|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude||RS Aggarwal|
|An Advanced Approach to Data Interpretation||RS Aggarwal|
Section C: General Awareness
|Conventional & Static GK||Current Affairs|
|Constitution of India||National and International Policies |
|National and International Events||Social and Cultural Issues|
|Literature, Art, and Culture||Sports|
|Books and Authors||Awards |
|Science and Scientific Achievements||Politics|
Books for General Awareness:
- Manorama Year Book
- GK Question Bank with Current Affairs and Static GK
- Daily English Newspapers such as The Hindu, Times of India, Economic Times, Financial Express, The Indian Express, Hindustan Times, Business Insider, and others
- GK Mock Tests for TISSNET and other competitive examinations
- Previous year GK questions papers of TISSNET
TISSNET Exam Pattern:
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Total Duration||100 minutes|
|Total Number of Sections||3|
|Total Marks ||100|
|Division of Sections|
Section A: English proficiency
Section B: Mathematical Skills and Logical Reasoning
Section C: General Awareness
|Number of Questions Per Section|
Section A: 30
Section B: 30
Section C: 40
|Marking Scheme||+1 for each correct answer|
|Negative Marking||No Negative Marking|
TISSNET Preparation Tips:
Candidates can follow the below-mentioned preparation tips for TISSNET:
- Read to Succeed:
Candidates should develop a voracious reading habit to ace the english and general awareness section. They can read anything, from newspapers to thick novels but they have to read.
- Variety is the KEY:
Sections such as english and maths can have a variety of questions. Hence candidates should practise questions from a variety of sources to ace any kind of questions that are asked in the exam.
- Planning for Success:
Candidates should have a proper idea of the TISSNET syllabus, resources, and the TISSNET exam pattern to plan properly. They should ensure that they properly follow the preparation plan for the exam.
- Mock IT to Rock IT:
Candidates should answer ample amounts of mock tests to get a proper hold of the exam pattern and the weak areas. This will help them prepare better by applying superior tactics.
- Good Health for Better Success:
Candidates should keep themselves healthy by having a good diet and exercising daily. A healthy mind determines exam success, and candidates should prescribe to this process in a greater capacity.
TISSNET Admit Card:
Candidates can download the TISSNET admit card by following the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Open the mail received on your official email-ID.
Step 2: Click on the direct link to download your TISSNET Admit Card.
Step 3: The link shall take you to the official website of TISS. Enter the Application ID and Password to log-in.
Step 4: The TISSNET Admit Card will be displayed on the screen.
Step 5: Check whether all the details of the Admit Card are correct or not.
Step 6: If all the details are correct, then download the TISSNET Admit Card onto an A4 size paper.
Candidates have to carry the TISSNET Admit Card and Government-approved ID card to the examination centre of TISSNET.
Candidates can follow the below-mentioned steps to check the results:
Step 1: Candidates need to visit the official website of TISS.
Step 2: The drop-down menu of the "Admissions" tab shall contain the TISS Result Section. Candidates need to click on this and log in using their Application ID and Password.
Step 3: Candidates can now check the TISSNET Result.
Step 4: They should take a printout of TISSNET Results for future use during the process.
TISSNET Selection Procedure:
TISSNET's further selection procedure will consist of the following 2 steps:
A) Pre-Interview Test:
- The pre-interview test is a written test as part of the TISSNET selection process.
- The total marks of this procedure account for 50 marks, and it makes up to 30% weightage for the selection process.
- The test comprises 2 sections. They are as follows:
Section A: It will comprise of Essay Writing. The word count will be in the range of 1000-1500 words and will carry 25 to 30 marks.
Section B: Case-study comprehension with 4 questions related to that case. It will carry 20 to 25 marks.
- The overall duration of this test is 35 to 45 minutes.
B) Personal Interview Process:
- It is the final round of the TISSNET Selection Procedure.
- For this, process candidates shall face a panel which shall comprise professors from the institution and established alumni.
- Candidates will be asked questions regarding the course that they have chosen. The PI doesn't have a fixed pattern and can go in any direction it may want.
- It carries 75 marks and accounts for 30% of the entire selection process.
Tie-breaker for TISSNET:
Since the merit list is prepared with the help of the entrance test scores, there can be huge confusion when 2 or more candidates score the same marks. If marks obtained by the same number of candidates clear the cut-off, then they shall be invited for the further admission process and scrutinized.
The final scrutinization of the candidates in the tie-breaker process will be based on:
- Personal Interview marks of both the candidates.
- If the PI marks of both candidates are equal, then their Pre-Interview Test marks will be compared.
- If both the above scores are the same, then the candidate older in age will be selected.
Reservation Policy of TISS:
TISS follows the reservation policies as defined by the Government of India. Selections of candidates for the admission process and the final admission depends on this reservation policy.
Below is a table that explains the reservation policy of all TISS Campuses.
|Categories||Reservation Percentage for all TISS Campuses|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||10%|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Class (OBC)||27%|
|Wards of Armed Forces Employees||5%|
|North-Easters States||65% reservation only in TISS Guwahati for the 8 North-Eastern States|
- The eligibility criteria for TISSNET are to get at least 50% in their undergraduate courses. In addition to this, candidates going for MA in Organisation Development, Change, and Leadership should have a minimum work experience of 2 years.
- TISSNET is an online computer-based examination.
- TISSNET registration is done in both online and offline mode.
- The time allotted for TISSNET is 100 minutes.
- The full marks for TISSNET are 100.
- No, there is no negative marking for TISSNET.
- There are 4 TISS campuses in India. They are in Mumbai, Hyderabad, Guwahati, and Tuljapur.
- TISSNET is one of the premier postgraduate entrance examinations in the country. Candidates should prepare for the exam with the best strategies to ace it.
- Further selection process of TISSNET consists of a pre-interview and a personal interview test.
- TISSNET exam consists of 3 sections, namely English Proficiency, Mathematical Skills & Logical Reasoning, and General Awareness.
Candidates should meet the following eligibility criteria to apply for TISSNET:
- Candidates applying for TISSNET should have completed their Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent from any of the recognized universities in India.
- They should have scored a minimum of 50% or equivalent CGPA.
- For TISSNET, candidates who will be completing their graduation.
- If a candidate has enrolled in a 3-year graduate program or equivalent, then he/she has to pass all their 4 semesters or equivalent. The same applies to 4-year courses as well, wherein the candidates have to pass all their 6 semesters or equivalent.
- TISSNET doesn't define a fixed age limit to apply for the examinations.
- Students belonging to any age group can apply for the examinations.
- To apply for TISSNET, candidates do not require compulsory work experience except for 1 course.
- Master of Arts in Organisation Development, Change, and Leadership requires the candidates to have a minimum work experience of 2 years after graduation.