National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET UG)
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is a medical entrance exam conducted at the national level. There are two different NEET examinations conducted for students of different levels. They are:
- The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG- conducted for admission into UG medical courses
- The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test PG- conducted for admission into PG medical courses
|NEET Exam Date||May 2021|
|Name of the Examination||National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Undergraduate|
|Common Name||NEET UG|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Frequency of the Exam||Once a year|
|Number of Languages the Exam is Conducted||11|
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
|Duration of the Exam||3 hours|
|Courses||MBBS, BDS, BHMS, BAMS, BUMS, BSMS|
NEET UG is the only medical entrance exam in India for students who want to study any one of the major medical courses. Every year, more than 15 lakh medical aspirants appear for the NEET exam.
However, only a few thousand students successfully secure a medical seat through the exam. As a result, it is considered to be one of the toughest medical entrance exams in India.
In order to clear the NEET entrance exam, many students study for more than a year. The average age of students applying for the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG exam is 17-19 years. The current frequency of the exam is just once a year. However, it might be changed to twice a year in the upcoming years.
The conducting body of the exam is the National Testing Agency. However, the previous conducting body of the examination was the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The NTA is basically responsible for conducting the exam and providing the results to the Directorate General of Health Services at the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG has become a common national medical entrance examination, including for AIIMS and JIPMER, after the enactment of the NMC Act 2021 in September 2021. Therefore, candidates willing to enter the medical field must qualify for the NEET UG entrance exam.
NEET UG 2021:
Students who want to appear for the NEET entrance exam must complete the registration process. All the official National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG exam dates will be announced through a notification.
After the registration process is completed, the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG application form must be filled carefully. If any candidate has made any mistake in the application form, then they can correct those mistakes during the correction window.
After the correction window period is completed, the authorities will release the Admit Cards. Students who want to appear for the exam must prepare according to the syllabus and the exam pattern. When the exam date finally arrives, the students must carry their Admit Card to the exam centre.
NEET UG 2021 Exam Dates (Tentative):
Every year, the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG entrance exam is conducted almost at the same time of the year. However, the NEET UG 2020 was delayed due to the pandemic.
In order to prevent any further delays and save the precious time of the students, the authorities of the NEET exam have decided to conduct the exam during the usual months of April and May. It would help the education system to get back on track.
The table given below shows the tentative NEET UG 2021 exam dates of the NEET Undergraduate exam. These tentative dates would help the students to create a proper exam preparation plan.
|Beginning of Application Process||November 2020|
|End of the Application Process||December 2020|
|Correction Window Period ||January 2021|
|Release of Admit Card||April 2021|
|NEET Exam Date||May 2021|
|Release of Answer Key||May 2021|
|Declaration of Result||June 2021|
|Counselling Session||June 2021|
NEET UG 2021 Exam Pattern:
Any student planning to appear for the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG 2021 entrance exam must be well aware of the paper pattern. It helps the students in their exam preparation and also helps them to plan out their exam strategy.
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG exam questions will be based on the syllabus prescribed by the NTA. The exam is designed to test the knowledge, understanding, application skills, decision-making skills, and the time management skills of the exam. In order to excel in the exam, the following exam pattern details are important to keep in mind:
|Subjects||Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Zoology+Botany)|
|Number of questions in each section||45|
|Total number of questions||180|
|Marking Scheme |
+4 for every Right answer
-1 for every wrong attempt
|Total Marks ||720|
|Types of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
NEET UG Syllabus:
Being well aware of the syllabus is the foundation step in the preparation process. Every aim or goal needs to have a direction. In the case of the exam, the syllabus serves as a direction.
If the candidate is well aware of their strong and weak areas in the syllabus, then they can easily create an effective personalized preparation plan. The exam has the following subjects:
The syllabus of all the above subjects is taken from the CBSE textbooks of class 11th and 12th. The topics of each subject are given below in detail:
NEET UG Syllabus- Physics:
Physics is a highly interesting subject for the ones who love to explore the working mechanism of nature. It teaches the students about the laws of nature and how they are applied to invent different things.
Understanding physics can help the students to understand the technical aspects of the medical field. It also helps the students invent new devices to improve the healthcare system. Therefore, physics is considered as an important subject in the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG entrance exam.
The students who want to appear in the NEET Undergraduate exam must study the following topics in the subject of physics.
|Class 11th Physics Syllabus||Class 12th Physics Syllabus|
|Physical World and Measurement||Electrostatics|
|Kinematics and Laws of Motion||Current Electricity|
|Work, Energy, and Power||Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism|
|The motion of System of Particles||Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents|
|Properties of Bulk Matter||Optics|
|Thermodynamics||Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter|
|Kinetic Theory Gases||Atoms and Nuclei|
|Oscillation and Waves||Electronic Devices|
NEET UG Syllabus- Chemistry:
Chemistry is considered to be an essential link between the physical world and the biological world. It helps the students to understand how the physical elements react in different ways to produce different kinds of molecules that are essential for life to exist.
Chemistry also serves as an essential element in a medical career as the medical professionals need to treat the patients with the help of medicines that are the product of chemistry. Therefore, students who aspire to enter the medical career must have a thorough understanding of the subject of chemistry.
The table given below shows the topics that are included in the chemistry syllabus:
|Class 11th Chemistry Syllabus||Class 12th Chemistry Syllabus|
|Basic Concepts of Chemistry||Solid State|
|Structure of Atom||Solutions|
|Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties||Electrochemistry|
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||Chemical Kinetics|
|States of Matter||Surface Chemistry|
|Thermodynamics||General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements|
|Equilibrium||p -Block Elements|
|Redox Reactions||d -and f -Block Elements|
|s-Block Elements||Haloalkanes and Haloarenes|
|Some p-Block Elements||Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers|
|Organic Chemistry: Basic Principles & Techniques||Aldehydes, Ketones, Carboxylic Acids and Amines|
|Hydrocarbons||Biomolecules and Polymers|
|Environmental Chemistry||Chemistry in Everyday Life|
Biology is the main subject that must be studied by medical aspirants. It explores different forms of life and their survival mechanisms in the physical world. It is usually considered to be easier than the subjects of Physics and Chemistry.
However, since The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG is a highly competitive national examination, the difficulty level of the questions in the exam is really high. Therefore, candidates must prepare thoroughly for biology if they decide to crack the UG NEET exam.
The table below shows the topics in the subject of biology that is taken for the exam:
|Class 11th Biology Syllabus||Class 12th Biology Syllabus|
|Diversity of Living Organisms||Reproduction|
|Structural Organisation in Plants & Animals||Genetics and Evolution|
|Cell: Structure and Function||Biology and Human Welfare|
|Plant Physiology||Biotechnology and its Applications|
|Human Physiology||Ecology and Environment|
NEET UG Registration Fees:
The students who want to apply for the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG 2021 exam must pay a registration fee after filling the application form. The application fee varies for the students depending on their category.
If the candidates belong to any of the reserved categories, then they must prove their category through their Category Certificate. Only then they will be able to pay the registration fee of that particular category.
The table given below shows the registration fee that must be paid by the candidates based on their category:
NEET UG Registration:
The registration process can be highly complex if the students are not guided properly through it. It consists of many steps that must be followed carefully if the student wants to get it done without making any mistakes. If the student makes any kind of error, then those errors can be corrected only during the correction window of The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG.
Moreover, the students also need to pay an additional fee for correcting the errors in the application form. Therefore, it is better for the student to complete the registration process without making any errors.
Given below is a step by step process to complete the NEET UG registration successfully:
- Visit the official website of NTA
- Click on the of 'Fill application form'
- Read the instructions carefully and then click on 'Proceed to Apply to NEET UG'
- Fill the personal and contact details
- Click on Preview to view the filled-in information
- Crosscheck the information thoroughly
- Click on the Next button after previewing the application form
- Once again, the entire information will be displayed on the screen
- Tick all the checkboxes if the information is correct
- Then click on the Next button
- Set and confirm a strong password
- Select a security question and enter the answer
- After the completion of the process, an OTP will be sent to the mobile number that was submitted during the registration process
- Enter the OTP and submit
- Note down the registration number for future references
After the registration for the NEET Undergraduate exam is completed, candidates need to complete the remaining application process
NEET UG Application Process:
The registration process helps the candidates only to register on the website. It does not make the candidate eligible to appear for the exam. If the candidates want to appear for the exam, then they must complete the application process.
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG application process helps the authorities to confirm the identity of the candidates appearing for the exam. Therefore, the candidates must complete the application process carefully:
Steps to complete the application process are as follows:
- Login with the application number and password that were obtained during the registration process
- Fill the personal details
- Enter the date of birth
- Choose the medium of question paper
- Choose the preferred examination centres
- Enter the address details
- Enter the qualification, occupation, and income details of the parents/guardians
- Choose the preferred option of dress code
- Enter the security pin and save
- Preview and submit the form
- Crosscheck the entries and tick on the checkboxes
- Then, click on the Final Submit button
After the completion of the application process, the candidates must upload the scanned images of the necessary documents. Follow the steps given below to upload the images:
- Click on the Upload Images button
- Upload the scanned images of the following documents one by one:
- Candidate's photograph
- Candidate's signature
- Candidate's left-hand thumb impression
- Candidate's 10th class passing certificate
Specifications for the scanned images:
The authorities of the exam do not accept any kind of scanned images. The candidates need to follow the instructions and specifications prescribed by the authorities.
If the candidates fail to do so, then their application form can be rejected by the authorities. The specifications are prescribed by the authorities to maintain clarity, simplicity, and uniformity in the application forms.
The specifications for the scanned image of every type of document is given below:
- The photograph must be very recent, i.e., 6-10 months old
- The name of the candidate and the date on which the photograph was taken must be clearly printed on the photograph
- Spectacles are allowed only if they are being used by the candidate regularly
- The face of the candidate in the photograph must be clear, and the candidate must not be wearing a cap or goggles
- Computer-generated photographs are not valid
- The size of the scanned file of the photograph must be 10 kb to 200 kb
The candidate's full signature must be done in a running handwriting
- The signature must be done with a black pen on white paper
- The size of the scanned file of the signature must be 4 kb to 30 kb
Left-Hand Thumb Impression:
The left-hand thumb impression should be made on white paper with blue ink
- If the candidate cannot use the left-hand thumb impression, the right-hand thumb impression can be used
- The size of the file must be from 10 kb to 50 kb
Class 10th certificate:
- A scanned image of the candidate's Class 10th Certificate must be uploaded
- The size of the file must be from 10 kb to 50 kb
After uploading the scanned images of the necessary documents, the candidate must complete the fee payment process. Follow the steps given below to complete the fee payment process:
- After the completion of the above steps, the candidates will be directed to the link of fee payment automatically
- All the instructions must be read and followed by the candidate
- Then, choose the preferred bank
- Click on the payment option
- Use any one of the following modes of payment:
- Debit card
- Credit card
- Net Banking
- e-Wallet (CSC)
- After the completion of the process, take a print out of the confirmation page
- Keep at least three copies of the print out for future references
NEET UG Application Form Correction Process:
Even though every candidate tries to fill the application form without any errors, sometimes mistakes are inevitable. Therefore, the NTA gives the candidates a chance to correct their mistakes by providing an application correction window.
During this correction window, candidates can correct their errors by following the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of NTA
- Log in by entering the details
- Then click on the link that says 'Correction in NEET UG application form'
- The application form will be displayed on the screen
- Select the sections which need to be edited
- Make the necessary changes
- Crosscheck the details once again
- Finally, click on the Submit button
The following details can be edited during the correction window period:
- Name of the Candidate
- Name of the Parents
- Date of Birth
- Disability Status
- State code of Eligibility
- The Medium of the Question Paper
- Examination Centre
NEET UG Admit Card:
The students who have applied for the NEET exam will get Admit Card from the official website. The NTA will announce the official dates of releasing the Admit Card 2021 through notification. The Admit Cards will be available only during a certain time frame.
The candidates must download their Admit Card during this time frame. If the candidates fail to do so, then they will not be allowed to sit for the exam. A printout of The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test UG 2021 Admit Card must be taken to the examination centre compulsorily.
The steps to download the NEET UG Admit Card are as follows:
- Visit the official website of NTA NEET
- Click on the Admit Card 2021 download link
- Enter the application number, date of birth, and the security pin
- Click on the submit button
- The Admit Card will be displayed on the screen
- Check all the details on the Admit Card carefully
- Download and take a print out of the Admit Card
- Keep it safe until the completion of the counselling process
Details mentioned on the Admit Card are as follows:
- Candidate's Name
- Registration Number
- Roll Number
- Date and timings of the examination
- Date of Birth
- Father's Name
- Mother's Name
- Candidate's category
- Details of the examination centre
- The medium of the examination
- Signature of the candidate
Important Instructions to be followed:
Certain specific instructions must be followed by the candidate if they want to be allowed into the NEET UG examination centre. The instructions are as follows:
- Candidate must take a coloured printout of the Admit Card to the exam centre
- They must affix their passport size photograph in the space provided. It must be similar to the one that was submitted during the application process
- The Admit Card must be signed by a parent or guardian
NEET UG Result 2021:
Many students wait for the results patiently after the exam is done. The results of the exam are released by the NTA. These results decide the future of lakhs of candidates all over India. Based on the results, the admission process of the candidates into the medical colleges will be carried out.
After the results are released, students must follow the steps given below to view their NEET UG 2021 rank card:
- Visit the NTA official website
- Click on the link of 'NEET UG Result 2021'
- Enter the roll number, date of birth, and the security pin
- Click on Login
- The result of the candidate will be displayed on the screen
- Crosscheck the details mentioned on the rank card
- Take a print out of the results for future reference
NEET UG Answer key:
The answer key is released by the authorities before releasing the results. It allows students to view the right answers and analyze their mistakes. It also gives them the opportunity to challenge the answer key if they feel that a particular answer in the answer key released by the authorities is wrong.
Candidates can view the answer key by following the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of NTA
- Click on the link of the NEET UG answer key
- Enter the registration number and password on the page that opens
- Click the login button
- The Answer Key will be displayed on the screen
- Download the answer key and check the answers to get the probable score
How to Challenge NEET UG Answer Key:
The answer key released by the NTA is designed and cross-checked by experienced professionals of the subject. However, sometimes even experts can make mistakes. Therefore, the authorities give the candidates a chance to challenge the answer key if they feel that a particular answer in the answer key is wrong.
The candidates must follow the steps given below if they want to challenge the NEET UG Answer key:
- Visit the official website of NTA NEET Undergraduate
- Log in by entering the registration number and password
- The official answer key will be displayed on the screen
- Select the Test Booklet Code and select the question that you intend to challenge
- Click on the submit button
- Select the answer and provide a justification for it
- Click on the confirm button
- Pay the required fee for challenging the answer key
- Finally, take a print out of the confirmation slip
NEET UG Cutoff 2021:
Every year, the authorities release NEET UG cutoff marks. The candidates must have secured the minimum cutoff marks in order to qualify the examination. If the candidates fail to secure the minimum cut off 2021 marks, then they will not be eligible for the further admission process of the NEET.
The cutoff marks vary every year. Moreover, the candidates belonging to the reserved categories will have lower minimum cutoff marks when compared to the cutoff marks of the general candidates.
The cutoff will be applicable for admissions into the following types of institutions:
- 15% All India Quota (AIQ) seats
- 85% of State Quota seats
- ESIC and AFMS
- Deemed and Central Universities
- Private Institutes
The cutoff is decided based on the following factors:
- Number of candidates appearing for the exam
- The difficulty level of the question paper
- Total number of seats available
- Previous years NEET UG cutoff marks
- Overall performance of the candidates in the examination
NEET UG Merit List:
Along with the results, the authorities also release the Merit list for the students. The Merit List consists of the names and roll numbers of the candidates who are eligible to register for the NEET UG Counselling.
The Merit List is of three types:
- All India Merit List
- AIQ Merit List
- State-wise Merit List
All India Merit List:
It is the overall merit list released by the NTA. it shows the All India Rank of the candidate.
AIQ Merit List:
The AIQ Merit List shows the list of candidates who are eligible for the 15% seats on the basis of All India Quota Rank.
State-wise Merit List:
The remaining 85% seats left after AIQ are given to the candidates based on their state-wise rank
NEET UG Eligibility for Counselling:
After the completion of the examination and the release of the NEET UG results, candidates wait for the counselling process patiently. However, the candidates must meet certain eligibility criteria if they want to be eligible for the counselling process. The eligibility criteria of the counselling process is as follows:
- The candidates must have qualified the NEET exam by clearing the minimum cutoff marks
- They must not belong to the state of Jammu and Kashmir
- They must have registered for the counselling through the official website
NEET UG Counselling Registration:
The candidates who fit into the eligibility criteria of the counselling process must register for the counselling through the official website. They must also pay the fee in order to complete their registration for the counselling.
If the candidates fail to register for the counselling process, then they will not be considered for admission in the medical colleges. They must complete the registration process without any errors as they will not get a chance to make the changes after submitting the registration form.
Given below is a step by step registration process for the NEET UG counselling:
- Visit the official website of MCC and click on New Registration
- Then click on Candidate Login
- Enter the Roll Number and Password and submit
- Enter the details asked on the new page
- Click on the submit button
- The candidate's details will be displayed according to the NTA database
- Verify the displayed information and then click on Confirm Registration
- The website will generate a registration slip
- Save and take a printout of the page
- Pay the non-refundable NEET counselling fee through any one of the following mediums
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Net Banking
- Then the website will display a list of colleges from which a candidate can choose
- Select the preferred colleges from the list
- Then arrange the colleges based on their order of preference
- Crosscheck the selected list and the preference order as the candidate won't get another chance to change the list
- After completing the selection process, enter the password and then click on 'Lock Choice'
- Take a print out of the locked choices. The print out will contain the following information:
- Date and time
- IP Address of the computer
- System generated Unique no.
- After the completion of the counselling registration, the authorities will release the mock seat allotment list on the specified date
- If the candidate is satisfied with the mock allotment, then he must lock the choices within the specified date
- After submitting the final choices, it is not possible to change it
- Take a print out of the locked choices
Essential documents that must be taken to the NEET counselling:
The candidate must carry both the original and the xerox copies of the documents given in the list below:
- NEET Admit Card
- NEET Result Card or Rank Card
- 8 Passport size photographs
- Class X Certificate and Marksheet
- Class XII Certificate and Marksheet
- NEET Seat Allotment Letter
- Identity Proof
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
How many times can a candidate appear for NEET UG ?- The NTA has not set any limit on the number of attempts for the exam. Therefore, a candidate can appear for any number of times
What documents should be carried to the NEET UG exam centre ?- The following documents must be carried to the exam centre:
Will the state merit list be released along with the NEET UG results ?- No, the state merit list is released after a few days of the announcement of the results. The state merit list is prepared by the state counselling authorities based on the results.
Can the medium of the NEET UG question paper be changed during the correction process ?- No, the medium of the question paper cannot be changed during the correction process.
Will the application get rejected if the uploaded photo does not have the name and date on it ?- No, the application will not get rejected if the uploaded photo does not have the name and date on it.
- General - 1500
- General EWS/ OBC NCL - 1400
- ST/ ST/ PwD/ Transgender - 800
- The candidates of the following nationalities are eligible to apply:
- Non-Resident Indians
- Overseas Citizens of India
- Persons of Indian Origin and Foreign Nationals
- General- 50%
- SC/ST/OBC- 40%
- Persons with Disability (PwD)- 45%
- Between 17-25 Years
ID proof details
- PAN Card/ Driving License/ Voter ID/ Passport/ Aadhar Card/ Ration Card