Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for Masters (IIT JAM)
|IIT JAM 2023 Exam Date|
February 12, 2023
|Name of the Examination||Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for Masters|
|Common Name||IIT JAM|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati|
|Frequency of the Exam||Once a Year|
|Exam Level||National Level Exam|
What is IIT JAM Entrance Exam?
Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for Masters (IIT JAM) is a national-level entrance exam allowing candidates to seek post graduate programs in IITs and IISc, Bangalore.
- Exam Details
- Exam Dates
- Application Form
- Exam Centres
- IIT JAM Syllabus and Books
- Exam Pattern
- IIT JAM Preparation Tips
- Admit Card
- IIT JAM Results
- IIT JAM Admission Process
- IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria
IIT, Guwahati is the conducting body of IIT JAM 2023. The entrance exam is conducted for 7 papers:
- Mathematical Statistics
Candidates can enroll for the following programs offered by the IITs:
- Master of Science (M.Sc)
- Master of Science (M.Sc) + Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) (Joint/ Dual Degree Program)
- Master of Science (M.Sc) + Master of Technology (M.Tech) (Dual Degree Program)
IISc, Bangalore only offers Integrated Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D). It is one of the top colleges in Bangalore for higher education.
Students can seek admissions in Bangalore and 20 other IITs across India with their IIT JAM 2023 score.
IIT JAM 2023 was conducted on February 12, 2023.
Aspirants must meet the minimum educational qualification in their Bachelor's program while applying for the IIT JAM exam.
IIT JAM Exam Details:
|Exam Mode ||Online (CBT)|
|Medium of Exam||English|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|Type of Questions|
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ),
Multiple Selection Questions (MSQ), and
Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
IIT JAM Exam Dates:
|Events ||Dates |
|Beginning of Registration|
September 7 2022
|End of Registration|
October 11, 2022
|IIT JAM 2023 Exam Date||February 12, 2023|
March 22, 2023
IIT JAM Exam Schedule on February 12, 2023
|Session I: 9.30 AM to 12.30 PM|
|Session II: 3 PM to 6 PM|
Candidates can appear in one or more test papers by paying the additional fee. They must ensure that the test papers are not in the same session.
IIT JAM Application Form:
Candidates can follow the below-mentioned steps to apply for IIT JAM 2023:
Basic IIT JAM Registration:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the IIT Joint Admission Test for Masters.
Step 2: Click on the registration link.
Step 3: Enter all the required information in the form.
Step 4: Confirm all the entered data and register.
Step 5: Note down the entered Enrollment ID and the Password, as they are used for further admission process.
How to fill up the IIT JAM application form?
Step 1: Visit the official website of the JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS).
Step 3: Aspirants need to log in using their credentials, i.e. their Enrollment ID and Password.
Step 4: After logging in, they can edit their details and add all the required personal and educational specifications.
Step 5: Candidates must select the papers they want to appear for and choose their preferred IIT JAM exam centres.
Step 6: Aspirants need to upload the required scanned documents as per the specification.
Step 7: Review and confirm all the details and proceed to pay the application fees.
Step 8: Follow the online instructions to complete the payment process. Payment should be done through online mode using a debit/ credit card or net banking.
Step 9: Aspirants must take a printout of the payment receipt and the application form for future reference.
IIT JAM Application Fees:
Category: Female (All Categories)/ SC/ ST/ PwD (Group 1):
|Particular||Fee (In Rs.)|
|Application Fee for 1 Paper||750|
|Application Fee for 2 Papers||1,050|
|Application Fee for Addition of a Paper||300|
|Change in 1 Existing Test Paper||750|
|Change in any 1 of the 2 Existing Test Paper||300|
|Change in Both the Paper||1,050|
Category: All Other (Group 2):
|Particular||Fee (In Rs.)|
|Application Fee for 1 Paper||1,500|
|Application Fee for 2 Papers||2,100|
|Application Fee for Addition of a Paper||600|
|Change in 1 Existing Test Paper||1,500|
|Change in any 1 of the 2 Existing Test Paper||600|
|Change in Both the Paper||2,100|
|Recent Coloured Passport Size Photograph|
|Candidate's Scanned Signature|
The following documents will be required to fill up the IIT JAM application form and further processes:
- Class 10th or Equivalent Marksheet
- 10+2 or Equivalent Marksheet
- Bachelor's Degree Marksheet
- Valid Identification Proof
- Caste Certificate (If Applicable)
- PwD Certificate (If Applicable)
IIT JAM Exam Centres:
The IIT JAM exam will be conducted in all 8 IIT Zones in several cities across India. Here are some of the popular cities:
IIT JAM Syllabus and Books:
Topics to be covered in IIT JAM Syllabus for each paper are as follows:
|General Biology||Biochemistry |
|Basic Biotechnology||Molecular Biology|
|Chemistry (10+2+3 Level)||Physiology|
|Physics (10+2 Level)||Mathematics (10+2 Level)|
Books for Biotechnology:
|Bioinformatics: Sequence and Genome Analysis||David W. Mount|
|Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune||Abbas and Littmann|
|Microbiology||Michael Pelczar Jr.|
a) Physical Chemistry:
|Basic Mathematical Concepts||Atomic and Molecular Structure|
|Theory of Gases||Solid State|
|Chemical Thermodynamics||Chemical and Phase Equilibria|
b) Organic Chemistry:
|Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry and Stereochemistry||Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications|
|Qualitative Organic Analysis||Natural Products Chemistry|
|Aromatic and Heterocyclic Chemistry||-|
c) Inorganic Chemistry:
|Periodic Table||Transition Metals (d block)|
|Chemical Bonding and Shapes of Compounds||Main Group Elements (s and p blocks)|
|Bioinorganic Chemistry||Instrumental Methods of Analysis|
Books for Chemistry:
|Introduction to Surface Chemistry and Catalysis||Gabor A. Somorjai|
|Organic Chemistry||Robert Neilson Boyd & Robert Thornton Morrison|
|Concise Inorganic Chemistry||J. D Lee|
|Statistics for Economics||Indian Economy|
|Mathematics for Economics||-|
Books for Economics:
|Micro Economics||Anna Koutsoyiannis, H.L. Ahuja|
|Mathematics For Economists||B.C. Mehta, G.M.K. Madnani|
|Indian Economy||Mishra & Pur|
|Economic Geology||Applied Geology|
Books for Geology:
|Groundwater Hydrology||David K. Todd (Author), Larry W. Mays|
|Structure Geology||Prof. Haakon Fasten|
|Optical Mineralogy (Four Colour)||Pramod Kumar Verma|
|Sequences and Series of Real Numbers||Functions of One Real Variable|
|Functions of Two or Three Real Variables||Integral Calculus|
|Differential Equations||Vector Calculus|
|Group Theory||Linear Algebra|
Books for Mathematics:
|Mathematical Analysis||S.C. Malik|
|IIT JAM Mathematics||Neha Tyagi|
|Fundamentals of Real Analysis||V.K. Krishnan|
6) Mathematical Statistics:
|Sequences and Series||Differential Calculus|
|Standard Distributions||Joint Distributions|
|Sampling Distributions||Limit Theorems|
|Estimation||Testing of Hypotheses|
Books for Mathematical Statistics:
|Principles of Mathematical Analysis||Walter Rudin|
|Introduction to the Theory of Statistics||Alexander M. Mood, Duane C. Boes, and Franklin A. Graybill|
|Vector Analysis: Schaum's Outlines Series||Murray Spiegel, Seymour Lipschutz, Dennis Spellman|
|Mathematical Methods||Electricity and Magnetism|
|Mechanics and General Properties of Matter||Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics|
|Oscillations, Waves and Optics||Modern Physics|
Books for Physics:
Molecular and Atomic Physics
|Mathematical Models for Physics and Engineering||Riley, Hobson and Bence|
|Classic mechanics||Herbert Goldstein|
IIT JAM Exam Pattern:
|Test Duration||3 Hours|
|Total Number of Questions||60|
|Number of Sections||3|
|Questions in Each Section|
Section A: 30
Section B: 10
Section C: 20
Section A: Multiple Choice QuestionsType (MCQ)
Section B: Multiple Selection Questions (MSQ)
Section C: Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
|Marks for Each Section|
Section A: 50 Marks
Section B: 20 Marks
Section C: 30 Marks
Question No. 1 to 10: 1 Mark
Question No. 11 to 30: 2 Marks
Question No. 31 to 40: 2 Marks
Question No. 41 to 50: 1 Mark
Question No. 51 to 60: 2 Marks
|Negative Marking |
1) 0.3 Mark will be Deducted for Every Wrong 1 Mark Question
2) 0.67 Mark will be Dedicated for Every Wrong 2 Marks Question
No Negative Marking for Section B & Section C
IIT JAM Preparation Tips:
Candidates can follow these tips while preparing for IIT JAM Exam:
- Candidates must maintain a study schedule to manage their time and efforts efficiently. They must strictly dedicate a minimum of 8 hours for studies every day.
- To broaden their knowledge on the subjects, candidates should refer to multiple study resources to ace the IIT JAM syllabus.
- One of the best ways to evaluate learning and get perfect scores is to solve mock papers. It helps them assess their learning and focus on the subjects that need more understanding.
- Exam stress can take a toll on the mind and body during IIT JAM preparation. Candidates must ensure to maintain a good diet and exercise regularly.
- Candidates must keep their spirits high and study positively and believe in themselves. They must not panic and trust their hard work for the best IIT JAM result.
IIT JAM Admit Card:
Candidates can download the admit card by following the below mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the official website of IIT JAM entrance exam.
Step 2: Click on the Admit Card link.
Step 3: Candidates have to log in using their credentials.
Step 4: The admit card will be displayed on the screen.
Step 5: Confirm all the details and take a printout of the Admit Card for reference.
IIT JAM Results:
The result/ merit list is based on the All India Rank (AIR) of JAM. IIT JAM Results can be viewed by following the steps below:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the IIT JAM entrance exam and click on the results link.
Step 2: Log in using valid credentials such as Enrollment ID and password. Enter the security code.
Step 3: Results will be displayed on the screen.
Step 4: View and print the results for further IIT JAM admission process.
IIT JAM Cut Offs:
IISc, Bangalore will release the cut-off based on the respective subject papers and categories. Candidates must visit the official website of IIT JAM 2023 for cut offs.
Deciding Factors for IIT JAM Cut off:
- Number of candidates who appeared in the exam
- Total numbers of candidates qualifying for the exam.
- Total number of seats
- Difficulty level of the exam
- Reservation norms
IIT JAM Admission Process:
The names of the candidates mentioned in the merit list will be eligible for the admission process to their preferred program in IISc and IITs:
- The admission process will be conducted online.
- Before signing up for the IIT JAM admission process, candidates must go through the information bulletin on its official website.
- Candidates must regularly check the website and emails for announcements and information regarding the admission lists.
Step 1: Application Process
Students can apply by filling the online admissions form on the official website of JOAPS.
They must provide all the required information, like their choice of programs based on their preference, educational qualification, category information, etc.
Aspirants must choose one or more institutes based on their interest and the papers answered.
Candidates belonging to OBC NCL/ EWS categories must mandatorily upload their category certificate in the prescribed format for the admission process.
After filling in the details and uploading the documents, candidates must pay the non-refundable fee of Rs. 600 through online payment mode and submit the form.
Irrespective of the number of papers answered, applicants must duly fill in only one application form.
Step 2: First Admission List:
Based on the order of preference in the admission form and the rank in the merit list, the first admission list for each program will be published on the official website of JAM 2023.
An intimation will be sent to the candidates and the organizing institute regarding the concerned candidate.
Students must log into JOAPS and choose any of the following options as a response to the offered seat:
(i) Accept and Freeze:
By choosing this option, they accept the offered seat and do not wish to participate in the upcoming admission process.
Students must submit the acceptance letter and pay the seat booking fee through the online portal on the official website of JOAPS. The fee will be adjusted against the admitting institute at the time of registration.
(ii) Accept and Upgrade:
By choosing this option, they accept the offered seat but wish to participate in the following admission process for upgradation to higher preferences.
They must also pay the seat booking fee as acceptance of the seat within the given time.
(iii) Reject and Quit:
By choosing this option, they reject the offer and quit the following admission process conducted by IIT JAM 2023.
After selecting the option, the candidate will get an OTP on their registered mobile number. They must enter the same as a confirmation of their decision.
Step 3: Second Admission List:
If seats remain vacant after the first list, a second admission list will be published by the organizing institution.
Candidates must choose any of the 3 options as mentioned in Step 1. Then, based on their selected option, they must pay the seat booking fee and submit the acceptance letter and enter the OTP to quit.
Step 4: Third and Final Admission List:
If the seats further remain vacant after the first and second list, the organizing institute prepares a third and final admission list to admit students.
Students will follow a similar procedure of choosing an option and acting accordingly.
After the completion of this round, the admission procedure for IIT JAM 2023 comes to closure.
Seat Booking/ Acceptance Fee:
|Category||Acceptance Fee (In Rs.)|
|General/ OBC- NCL/ EWS ||10,000|
|SC/ ST/ PwD||5,000|
- Passport Size Photographs
- Class 10th Marksheet and Certificate.
- Class 10+2 Marksheet and Certificate.
- Bachelor Degree Marksheet and Certificate.
- Valid ID Proof
- Application Form
- Admit Card
- Caste Certificate (If Applicable)
- PwD Certificate (If Applicable)
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is the conducting body for IIT JAM 2023.
- The exam is a Computer-Based Test (CBT).
- The exam is conducted for M.Sc, M.Sc + Ph.D, Integrated Ph.D Programs, and M.Sc + M.Tech programs.
- Aspirants applying for the exam must have a Bachelor's degree with Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) as specified by the admitting Institute.
- The marking scheme is the same for all the 7 papers. Here is the pattern as per the sections for IIT JAM preparations: Section A: Question No. 1 to 10: 1 Mark & Question No. 11 to 30: 2 Marks. 0.33 mark will be deducted for every wrong 1 Mark Question and 0.67 mark will be deducted for every wrong 2 marks question. Section B: Question No. 31 to 40: 2 Marks. No Negative Marking Section C: Question No. 41 to 50: 1 Mark & Question No. 51 to 60: 2. No Negative Marking
- Marks of Section C will be considered as a tie-breaker. Date of Birth will be considered as the next tie-breaking criteria if marks remain the same. If these criteria fail to break the tie, the candidates will be awarded the same rank.
- The types of questions for the exam are Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Selection Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Types (NAT).
- With the addition of Economics in 2023 IIT JAM is conducted for 7 subjects: Biotechnology, Chemistry, Economics, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, Physics.
- IISc, Bangalore and 20 IITs across India accept IIT JAM scores.
- The scores of the exam are valid only for that particular academic year.
The aspirants have to meet the following eligibility criteria of IIT JAM 2023 for admission :
- Aspirants should have graduated from Bachelors and match the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) as specified by the admitting Institute.