Disheartened by the suffering of the masses,
I wish the misery of the people would end.
Actions need to be taken by each one of us,
I want a revolutionary change.
If that's what your inner voice says then, explore the social work profession in India, a career that will provide eternal satisfaction to you and immense relief to others.
Social workers provide support, assistance, guidance, and protection to individuals or groups who are vulnerable and are suffering from a dreadful crisis. Fill the world with goodness and generosity. Help people while you can.
Read the blog to find answers to all your questions, like what is social work, how to start, and where it would lead you.
What is Social Work (SW)?
Social work is the academic discipline and profession that fosters empowerment and stimulates progressive social changes, cohesion, and development.
It is a practice-based service that works on the principles of human rights, secularity, and social justice.
Various subjects like social science, humanity, psychology, social legislation, etc, along with physical, mental, and community health, are practiced and implemented.
How to Become a Social Worker?
- Soft Skills: To become a social worker, one must possess empathy and selflessness. They must be generous towards the suffering of others and stern about bringing positive change in society.
- Education: Students must have a deeper understanding of the laws, rights, foundation, and structure of the society, for which they need to graduate in their desired discipline from a top MSW college in India.
- Field Work and Research: After graduation, students must assimilate the values and principles of professional social workers. They must understand societal reality and learn how to systematically ascertain appropriate solutions.
Social Work Courses:
Students learn various subjects under social work courses through theory, debates, conferences, presentations, fieldwork, etc. Here are the top programs:
|Eligibility||Completed 10+2 with a minimum aggregate score of 50% from a recognized board.|
|Duration ||3 Years|
|Courses||Master in Social Work (MSW)|
|Eligibility||Graduated with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree or equivalent with a minimum aggregate score of 50% from a recognized board.|
Students can pursue higher studies by enrolling in Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Social Work.
|Course||Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in Social Work|
|Eligibility||Graduated with a Bachelor/ Diploma or equivalent program with a minimum aggregate score of 55% from a recognized board.|
|Duration ||1 Year|
Scope of Social Work in India:
Students can work in several job profiles in SW like:
- Social Activists
- Counsellor/ Consultant
- Social Workers
- Community Health Worker
- Social Personals
- Project Coordinator, etc.
Social Work Colleges in India:
By studying at a top social work college in India, you gain a quality education and understanding of the field.
Here is a list of Bachelors and MSW college:
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Kristu Jayanti College (KJC), Bangalore
- Madras Christian College (MCC), Chennai
- Sophia College For Women, Mumbai
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal
- St. Joseph's College (SJC), Bangalore
- St. Aloysius College, Mangalore
- AIMS Institute, Bangalore
If you draw inspiration from great social workers like Baba Amte, Mother Teresa, then walk on the path of working selflessly by pursuing the social work profession in India.
Seek a career that hones your skills and strengthens the society for every individual to flourish and thrive.
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"- Anne Frank.
Enroll in one of the top social work colleges in India and bring out the change you want to see.