NEET PG 2020 examination is going to be a highly competitive examination which will demand a student to do a comprehensive study of all the 20 subjects that he/she has studied during his MBBS. The examination will demand 100% from the student even then there are only a few who qualify the examination. Here, in this blog, we will discuss a few tips that will help you prepare for each subject required for NEET PG 2020.
To sail your way through NEET PG 2020 exam preparation, there are certain things that you should keep in mind. The first and foremost thing is you have to have a target set in your mind, write your goal on a piece of paper and paste it near your study area. Once that is done, here are some tips to prepare for each subject for NEET PG 2020.
- Forensic Medicine
Preparation tips for Anatomy
Anatomy is a subject that has a high weightage in the NEET PG 2020 examination. Therefore, to prepare for this subject you need to keep in find the following tips:
- You can make a list of important topics.
- Study image-based questions first for better understanding.
- Always keep enough time for revision.
- You need to follow an exam strategy.
- Organise your study area to avoid any distractions.
These are a few recommended books that you can follow while studying for NEET PG Anatomy:
- Across: A Complete Review of Short Subjects - Vol. 4 (PGMEE) - By Saumya Shukla, Anurag Shukla, Siddharth Dixit, Khushi Shukla
- Self Assessment and Review of anatomy (PGMEE) - By Rajesh K Kaushal
All these books have authentic content with extensive references to various important topics. These books have also discussed the previous year's questions and questions that are important for NEET PG 2020.
Preparation tips for Physiology
Even though the subject is vast, Physiology is an interesting topic. There are approximately 15 questions asked on this subject. Here are some tips to prepare for Physiology for NEET PG 2020:
- Write your own notes while studying.
- Make a note? Things to Remember? for revision time.
- You must practice at least 150 MCQs daily.
- Have a good understanding of Respiratory Physiology, Cardiac Physiology, Neuro-Physiology, Renal Physiology
You can also follow these recommended books to make the preparation process easy for yourself:
- Guyton & Hall Physiology Review - By John Hall
- Essentials of Medical Physiology- By A.B.S. Mahapatra
All these books have explained concepts of physiology in simple terms. There are notes after each chapter for a better understanding of the students. These books are best for reviewing the concepts and have useful questions that are generally asked in NEET PG 2020 examination.
Preparation tips for Biochemistry
Biochemistry carries 10-15% weightage in NEET PG 2020 examination. Among all the subjects, Biochemistry is the most scoring section. Here are some tips to prepare for NEET PG Biochemistry:
- You should make a time table and follow it.
- Every day, you need to practise MCQs
- You need to stay away from any distractions
- Make comprehensive notes during the preparation for the examination.
- Make a realistic time table that you can achieve.
For a better understanding of the important concepts, read the recommended books mentioned below:
- Textbook Of Biochemistry For Medical Students - By Vasudevan DM
- Self Assessment and Review of Biochemistry- By Rebecca James Perumcheril
Both these books are student-friendly with lively illustrations and self-assessment exercises. The chapters are updated according to the latest syllabus and ideal for last-minute preparation. The books have also reviewed the previous years? question papers.
Preparation tips for Pathology
Pathology primarily focuses on the lab analysis of bodily fluids such as blood and urine. This subject will require a thorough knowledge of chemistry, molecular pathology, etc. Here are some tips to prepare for NEET PG Pathology:
- You need to stay motivated to complete the whole syllabus on time.
- It is important to stay calm and not panic.
- There will be no use of taking any stress while preparing for the examination.
- You should revise your class notes.
- Try to know all the latest updates on medicines and new treatments.
There are some recommended books given below that you can follow for better preparation:
- Robbins Basic Pathology (Robbins Pathology) - By Vinay Kumar MBBS MD FRCPath, Abul K. Abbas MBBS, Jon C. Aster MD PhD
- Review of Pathology and Genetics (PGMEE) - By Gobind Rai Garg
Both these books are updated and revised by the professional board of editors according to the latest syllabus. It has covered all the basic concepts for last-minute revision. There are solved MCQs that are asked in the previous year papers.
Preparation tips for Pharmacology
Pharmacology is vast as well as a key to score better marks in NEET PG examination. In this subject, the student needs to memorise the names and jargons of the various terms. Here are a few tips that you can follow to prepare for Pharmacology examination:
- You need to do smart as well as hard work.
- Clear your doubts way ahead of time so that you don't have to struggle at the last minute.
- Attempt 2-3 mock tests before the examination.
- Do not study any new topic a week before the examination.
- Do not study all night before the examination.
The following books are recommended by toppers online for better preparation before the examination:
- Essentials of Medical Pharmacology - By K. D. Tripathi
- Review of Pharmacology- By Gobind Rai Garg, Sparsh Gupta
These books cater to the needs of the students while preparing for any medical competitive examination. The books have wide coverage of various concepts, solved MCQs and concise notes on various pharmacological concepts.
Preparation tips for Microbiology
Microbiology may sound scary for a lot of students because of the vastness of the syllabus. There are around 80 marks for 20 questions from this section. Following these few tips, you can prepare better for NEET PG 2020 for Microbiology:
- You need to memorise the syllabus before you start your preparation.
- You should practise mock tests daily.
- You need to cover all the topics.
- You can't get stuck with one topic for a long time.
- You should designate the time for each topic based on their importance.
There are a few recommended books that you can follow for better preparation:
- Self Assessment & Review of Microbiology & Immunology: Microbiology - By Rachna Chaurasia
- Ananthanarayan and Paniker's Textbook of Microbiology Tenth edition with booklet - By Reba Kanungo
These books will be helpful for students to get an idea of various aspects of microbiology. It is in simple language for a better understanding of students. There are colourful diagrams and tables in the books to make it more interesting for the students. The books also have a section for the solved previous year question paper.
Preparation tips for Forensic Medicine
Forensic medicine carries at least 10 marks in NEET PG examination and it can be easily covered in a week. However, good practise is required for best results during the NEET PG 2020 examination. Check out the tips below for better preparation:
- You must calculate the study time and make a proper time table.
- Concentrate more on clearing the doubts before starting the preparation.
- It is better to divide time for each topic.
- Don't forget to solve the previous year questions
- Take enough breaks in between study time.
Some of the recommended books given below are really helpful for last-minute preparation:
- Across: A Complete Review of Short Subjects - Vol. 4 (PGMEE) - by Saumya Shukla, Anurag Shukla, Siddharth Dixit, Khushi Shukla
- The Essentials of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology - by K.S. Narayan Reddy
These books are highly demanded among students for a revised, researched, concise and important topics to study before the examination. There are numerous self-made tables, flow charts and sample MCQs for better preparation.
Preparation tips for Ophthalmology
Ophthalmology section will be of 60 marks containing 15 questions. The students have to be thorough with all the important topics under this subject to ensure maximum marks in this section. Here are some tips that the students can follow during the preparation time of the subject:
- You need to get your basics clear.
- It's better to prepare your own notes on important topics like cornea, conjunctiva, lens, uvea, glaucoma, and retina.
- Short notes and essay notes must be prepared separately.
- You must revise and study your notes every day.
- It is always better to stay away from any distractions
Here we have mentioned a few recommended books that you can follow for better preparation before the examination:
- Quick Review Of Ophthalmology - By B Ram Gopal
- Review of Ophthalmology 6th Edition - Ruchi Rai
These books are comprehensive yet concise for students for last-minute preparation. The students can check the topic-wise detailed discussion below each chapter to revise it. There are solved previous year question papers as well in these books.
Preparation tips for ENT
This subject will have fairly high weightage in the NEET PG 2020 examination. To prepare for ENT subjects, the students will have to decode the syllabus and understand the important topics thoroughly. Below find a few tips that you can follow to prepare for NEET PG 2020 ENT:
- You can study images and theories side by side for better understanding.
- Practise maximum image-based questions.
- Make your own notes and study from the same.
- You need to give more priority to your study hours and avoid distractions.
- Avoid keeping doubt clearing sessions for the last few days before the examination.
There are a few recommended books that are suggested by toppers online for better preparation. Find them below:
- Self Assessment & Review ENT (PGMEE) - By Sakshi Arora Hans
- Ent For Entrance Exam - By Manisha Sinha & Sachin Budhiraja
Both these books are perfect for any average student to understand the important concepts and score better in the NEET PG 2020 examination. The books focus more on the basics and previous years? questions.
Preparation tips for SPM
There are more than 500 topics to study for the NEET PG 2020 examination. Therefore, it is better to start preparing for a better strategy before you start preparing for the examination. Here are some tips for better preparation for SPM.
- Memorise the topics that you need to study for this subject.
- You must make a time table and follow it.
- Solve previous year question papers to know the kind of questions that are asked.
- Keep the exam pattern in mind before you start the preparation.
- Stay focused during the time of the preparation.
Find out below some recommended books that you can follow:
- Self Assessment & Review Of preventive 7 Social Medicine 10th ed 2018 - By Satish S. Mali & Arvind Arora
- Review of Preventive & Social Medicine - By Vivek Jain
Both the books are updated according to the current syllabus. All the recent questions and concepts are covered in the books. The students can follow this book for last-minute preparation.
Preparation tips for Medicine
Medicine is a subject that is vast and ever-expanding. To prepare for this subject, the students can?t just limit themselves to textbooks. They need to be well-versed with the recent updates to score better marks in this subject. Here are a few tips that you can follow for better preparation of NEET PG 2020 examination:
- Avoid cramming too much information.
- Finish one topic at a time.
- Prepare for the diagnosis section very well.
- You can club similar topics together.
- Avoid taking stress before the examination.
These are a few recommended books that you must follow before the examination:
- Self-Assessment & Review Medicine (Part A & B) (PGMEE) - by Mudit Khanna
- Medicine by Deepak Marwah
Both the books are bestselling and have thoroughly revised with the updated syllabus. The books also contain notes and MCQs according to the latest examination pattern for better preparation for the students.
Preparation tips for Psychiatry
While Psychiatry is one of the most sought after branches, preparation for this section can be difficult. However, with the right preparation, you can score high marks in this section. Here are some tips that are given below that you can follow:
- Practise mock test before the examination.
- Don't rely on random guesses as there is negative marking for wrong answers.
- Stay calm and don't take too much stress before the examination.
- Read the question carefully before answering.
- Do not waste time on questions that you don't understand.
Check out the recommended books given below, that you can follow before the examination for better preparation:
- Review Of Psychiatry - By Tripathi Praveen
- Self Assessment And Review Of Short Subjects - By Arvind Arora
Both the books include a lot of examples for a better understanding of concepts by the students. There is a list of MCQs provided at the end of each chapter for practice.
Preparation tips for Dermatology
Dermatology is a short subject with little weightage in the NEET PG 2020 examination. However, it is a subject that can?t be ignored. This subject can be a real game-changer if you prepare the theory and the image-based questions well for the examination. Read the preparation tips below for NEET PG Dermatology section:
- Take notes for each and every topic for last-minute preparation.
- Give a mock test every day to evaluate yourself.
- Keep enough time for revision of all the topics.
- Analyse the exam pattern well to devise the right exam strategy.
- Concentrate more on image-based questions.
Here are a few recommended books that are best for NEET PG exam preparation:
- Review of Dermatology - By Jaypee brothers
- Dermatology Review for PGMEE - By Mary Vineetha and K Sobhanakumari
Both the books have in-depth coverage of important topics for the examination in dermatology. There are charts and image-based questions in the books and important points to remember for better preparation.
Preparation tips for Paediatrics
Paediatrics can be the most scoring subject if prepared well. Though the syllabus might look vast when you see it for the first time, it can be easily comprehensible if you pay attention. Here are a few tips that the students can follow while preparing for NEET PG 2020 Paediatrics:
- The most important topics are general Pediatrics and Neonatology.
- It is always better to prepare your own notes.
- Understand the topics and give more stress on the important topics.
- Keep time for revision.
- Give enough mock tests before the examination.
Find out the recommended books below for better preparation:
- Ghai Essential Pediatrics - By Vinod K. Paul
- Self Assessment and Review of Paediatrics - By Arvind Arora
Both these books have the latest research updates, detailed explanations and clear illustrations. There are MCQs based on each chapter for students to practice.
Preparation tips for Surgery
Surgery is one of the most crucial subjects for NEET PG 2020 examination and a student needs a systematic approach to study for this subject. This subject carries a high weightage with more than 20-30 questions based on it. Here are some tips that you can follow:
- Make a list of important jargon and keep it ready for last-minute preparation.
- Club Surgery with Anatomy, Radiology and Pathology to save time while preparation and better understanding.
- Solve previous year question paper and MCQs to practise before the examination.
- Make an organised strategy to prepare for NEET PG surgery examination.
- Remember, Surgery can be scoring only if you prepare well for it.
Recommended books for Surgery are as follows:
- Surgery Essence by Pritesh Singh
- Bailey & Love's Short Practice of Surgery
Both the books have synopsis at the end of every chapter to help build concepts and save the time of the students. The important facts are highlighted and MCQs are mentioned separately at the end of the chapter for practice. You can also find solved previous year question papers in the books.
Preparation tips for Orthopaedics
Orthopaedics is again a short subject with approximately 5-8 marks questions. You need to spend exactly a week to complete the preparation of this subject. Here are some tips that you can follow to optimise the time you have to prepare for Orthopaedics:
- Prepare a list of important topics to study.
- Read and prepare for all the signs and symptoms for each condition.
- You can expect questions on Peripheral Nerve Regions.
- Questions can be asked based on Pathology integrated with Orthopaedics.
- Read about uncommon tumours and how to identify them through X-ray.
Here are some books recommended by toppers to study for Orthopaedics for NEET PG 2020 examination:
- Revise Orthopedics in 10 Days: New SARP Series for NEET/NBE/AI - By P Selvaraj
- Orthopedics Quick Review - By By Apurv Mehta
Both books are important for the students for any last-minute preparation. There are concise and to-the-point concepts described at the end of each chapter. Every year according to the latest syllabus there is an addition of new topics.
Preparation tips for Anaesthesia
Anaesthesia is again a subject that falls under the category of the short subjects and the students can prepare for this subject quickly. It is not an easy scoring subject so the students have to be extra careful. However, these simple tips can be very helpful while preparing for NEET PG Anaesthesia:
- Make a list of all the important topics and start with those first.
- Make the best use of time and avoid cramming to make concepts at once.
- Solve previous year question paper
- Attempt mock test and get to know where you stand in terms of preparation.
- Learn the art of time management.
Some recommended books that you may follow:
- Self Assessment & Review of Short Subjects, Vol-1 - By Arvind Arora
- Anaesthesia Essence - By Pritesh Singh, Usica Chandan
Both the books mentioned above are revised and updated according to the latest syllabus of the NEET PG 2020 examination. All the recent questions of the previous year are solved for the students. Therefore, they are highly recommended.
Preparation tips for Radiology
Radiology is one of the subjects that is updated each year with the advent of new technology. Therefore, even though the subject comes under short subjects, it has a lot to study. The students must keep enough time to prepare for Radiology. Here are some tips that you can follow:
- Make a note of important topics and time tables.
- Follow the time table without fail.
- Focus on image-based learning, it is easy to prepare and important.
- Make your own notes while studying.
- Revise the subject a day before the examination.
Some recommended books are as follows:
- Review of Radiology by Sumer K Sethi
- Conceptual Review of Radiology for NBE by Mayur Arun Kulkarni
These books have a comprehensive and elaborate description of each topic that is important for the examination. These books will cover all the technical aspects of the subject and you don't have to refer to anything else for preparation. Therefore, these books are recommended.
Preparation tips for Gynaecology
Gynaecology can be high scoring and is prepared properly on time. The syllabus is vast and around 15 questions are asked on it at the NEET-PG examination. The students must focus on smart work rather than hard work to prepare for these topics. Few tips are given below can be followed by the students:
- Understand the important topics and make notes.
- Start this subject early so that you have enough time for revision.
- Understand the topics and avoid last-minute cramming.
- Give mock tests as many as you can.
- Practise previous year questions for better understanding of the questions.
Some recommended books are as follows:
- Self Assessment & Review Gynecology - By Sakshi Arora
- MCQ Preparation - By Puneet Bhojani
Both these books have solved previous year question papers, pictorial representation of important topics and comprehensive coverage of the syllabus. The students can blindly follow this book for last-minute revision before the examination.
Preparation tips for Obstetrics
Obstetrics consists of 5-6 questions based on it and has a vast syllabus. The students approach the subject topic-wise and make sure they understand the basic concepts of the subject. Here are some tips that the students can follow before the examination:
- Make your own notes while studying for the subject.
- You can club this subject with Gynecology to save time.
- Study case studies as they are mostly asked in the examination.
- Attempt mock test as many as you can before the final examination
- Keep calm and take as less stress as possible.
Here are some recommended books that you can follow:
- Self Assessment & Review Obstetrics by Sakshi Arora
- MCQ Preparation Book by Puneet Bhojani
Both these books follow the latest syllabus and pictorial illustrations. There are solved previous year question papers at the end of each chapter for the students.
NEET PG 2020 examination can be tough but it can be made easy by following some easy steps. Here we have discussed in detail about the preparation tips and important books for each subject of NEET PG 2020. There will be a mock test or demo test available on the official NEET-PG website by the NBE for the students to practise before the examination from December 20, 2019, onwards.
Let us know if you have any doubts by simply filling out the enquiry form.