"Time and Tide wait for no man." is a very popular proverb we have heard since our childhood, but little did we grasp it completely.
Time management skills are a vital part of everyone's life and more importantly, for a student. Knowing how to use time productively is a skill only a few students have mastered and it helped them achieve great heights.
Importance of time management for students:
Mentioned below are the top reasons why time management is important for students:
1) Organized work:
When students follow a fixed schedule, it helps them organize their work efficiently. It helps them to have a clearer idea of what to do each day and tick off the tasks they have completed.
When your work is organized, you can do more important tasks by prioritizing them at the top of your to-do list.
2) Do more in less time:
Managing time properly can help you boost your productivity and you can do more in less time by planning your day. It also helps in giving you a work-life balance.
When you allocate a specific time for each academic work like projects or homework, you can focus on them better. Thus, you can work smarter and not harder. Still, get your syllabus completed properly in no time.
3) Reach goals quicker:
When you have time management skills, you don't have to multitask anymore and focus on a single activity at a time. This will help you to give your best work every time and allow you to reach your goals faster.
For instance, if you want to improve your overall performance in a particular subject, allotting extra time daily for it will help you attain it faster than you expect.
4) Get rid of procrastination:
Procrastination is always the thief of time, making you lose track of what you want to complete, be it assignments, tests, or the entire syllabus.
When you set aside enough time for each task, you can successfully achieve better grades and easily overcome the laziness that results in procrastination.
5) Better health and stress reduction:
When you have a long to-do list of academic work in front of you and so little time, it can lead to a lot of stress. But when you prioritize your work and tackle them, you will know how many tasks are left and can manage your time accordingly.
Time management not only helps you manage stress and anxiety, but also has a positive impact on your overall health as you don't have to stay up late to complete the daunting list of pending work.
6) Don't have to cram the syllabus:
Students with poor time management skills always end up with a massive amount of syllabus awaiting them the night before their exams, and the only solution ahead of them is to cram up everything with no benefit whatsoever.
Cramming up the entire syllabus can only make the student achieve an even lower score than they expect. But with proper preparation and time management, you will get enough time to even revise the syllabus in detail.
7) Boost confidence and better careers:
Students who manage their time always get enough time for extracurricular activities and leisure. This in turn, shows a positive outcome on their studies and boosts their confidence.
It is no mystery that individuals with better confidence have greater chances of landing a top-notch career and live a brighter future. All of this starts with how you manage your time.
How to manage time for study?
There are a lot of tips for time management that students can follow to lead a better future.
Some of the well-known time management techniques are mentioned below.
- Writing a to-do list will help you prioritize your work and let you know how much work is incomplete.
- Figure out your optimum study method and stick to it.
- Find a dedicated space and free yourselves from all distractions, so that you can have a better concentration.
- Be realistic about yourself and make plans accordingly.
- Make the most out of your budgeted time without doing anything else, but only the allotted work.
- Create a well-designed daily schedule and try to follow it no matter what the cost.
- Switch off or keep away all electronic items so that you won't be tempted to check them from time to time.
- Don't forget to take short breaks in between so that you won't drain your internal battery completely.
Time Management Tools:
A lot of tools and apps are out there in this era of cutting edge technology where students can track their goals and improvements. A few varieties of those popular tools you can use to improve your time management skills are given below.
- Productivity applications like Trello or Evernote will help you keep a track of your deadlines and upcoming assignments.
- Pomodoro apps like Forest, MInimalist will let you work and take short breaks accordingly, keeping you at your highest productivity levels.
- Distraction blocking apps like Dewo, Freedom, etc allows you to focus better without being distracted by social media or other unnecessary notifications.
- To-do list apps such as Remember the Milk, Finish, are great time management apps where you can get that mental satisfaction of checking off the tasks in your daily calendar and motivate yourself to do more.
Valuing time has always been a timeless advice of philosophers. Therefore, practicing it should be an important aspect of your life.
Time management is the first step you can take in your journey towards success. It is not something that you will be taught at school, but mastering it can drastically change your life.