The internet is an endless space for data and possibilities. One can easily look up any place, person, or thing on the web.
While this has made our lives easier and less time-consuming, the web is also a breeding space for many unethical activities.
It is essential to protect the data and the information recorded by users at personal and organizational levels.
Ethical Hackers, also known as whitehat hackers, avoid cyber data or systems by ethical hacking.
It refers to cracking into the system to discover the loopholes in the functionality and security and reporting them to the authorities for a breach-free system.
How to Become a Hacker?
Here are 3 steps on how to become an Ethical Hacker:
- After completing 10+2, candidates must qualify in the entrance exam for admissions in an undergraduate program in cyber security/ networking or equivalent.
- They should graduate with a Bachelor's Program and obtain a Master's Degree in the relevant discipline.
- After receiving the academic credentials, students must obtain the certification of an Ethical Hacker.
Some of the certifications are:
- Certified Ethical Hacker (EC-Council)
- Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC-Council)
- GIAC Certified Penetration Tester (GPEN)
- Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA)
Tips to Become an Ethical Hacker:
Along with the formal education, students can follow the below-mentioned steps to become an exceptional Ethical Hacker:
- Learn several programming tools and operating systems such as C, Kali Linux, Python, Java, etc.
- Master the art of having an anonymous presence online.
- Build a thorough knowledge of the networking concept.
- Explore and understand the hidden web.
- Comprehend and ace the skill of cryptography.
- Exploit the vulnerabilities, loopholes, and countermeasures of systems and networks to practice and gain experience.
- Conduct a case study to understand the tactics, techniques, and procedures of a cyber attack and its scope.
- Update yourself with the latest technologies, software, and cyber security trends.
Eligibility to Become an Ethical Hacker:
Here are the qualifications required for an Ethical Hacker.
- Candidates must complete 10+2 or equivalent with Chemistry, Physics, and Maths as mandatory subjects from a recognized board.
- They must secure a minimum aggregate score of 50% in their 10+2.
- Candidates must also appear in the concerned entrance exam and match the cut-off to secure admissions.
Here are the top skills required to be an Ethical Hacker.
- Security Analysis
- Research Ability
- Effective Problem-Solving Skills
- Analytical and Rational Thinking
- Observational Skills
- Agile and Spontaneous
- Practical Approach
What to Study to Become a Hacker?
Following are the top courses for aspirants wondering what to study to become a hacker:
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Cyber Security
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Networking
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) Computer Science & Engineering in Cyber Security and Forensics
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) Computer Science & Engineering in Cyber Security and Threat Intelligence
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Cyber Security
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Information Security
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) (CSE) in Information Security
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) (CSE) in Information Security and Computer Forensics
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Network & Information Security
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Cyber Security
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Cyber Security & Digital Forensics
Students can also opt for diploma or certificate courses.
Job opportunities for Ethical Hackers are available in both private and government organizations. Here are the top recruiters in the sectors:
- Defense Organizations
- National Services
- Law Enforcement Organizations
- Public Sector Companies, etc.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- Paladion Networks, etc.
Ethical Hackers can also work as freelancers. They can point out the vulnerability in the system software and inform the authorities.
The authority looks into it and rewards them accordingly. This payment is called Bug Bounty.
For Example: An Ethical Hacker from Bangalore, Anand Prakash, is famous for his prolific research skills. He has been rewarded by top companies like Facebook, Uber, Twitter, etc.
He discovered the vulnerability that allowed him to find out the OTP that was required to reset the password of a Facebook account. He was rewarded with a cash price of over $10,000 for the same.
Salary of Ethical Hackers:
Ethical Hacker Salary in India: The approximate Ethical Hacker salary in India is between the range INR 1.5 Lakhs to 9 Lakhs per annum.
Ethical Hacker Salary Abroad: The approximate salary of an Ethical Hacker abroad is between the range of $67k to $101 per annum.
How to Become a Hacker for the Government?
Ethical Hackers often look for jobs in the government sector to serve the country. Here is the answer for how to become a hacker for the government:
- Candidates must be certified in ethical hacking.
- They can apply in several government sectors like the Cyber Cell of Police Departments, National Defence Academy (NDA), Intelligence Services like CBI, etc.
Top Colleges for Ethical Hacking:
Here are the top 5 colleges in India that offer courses in Cyber and Information Security:
- NIIT University, Neemrana
- Presidency University, Bangalore
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology (IIITD), New Delhi
- Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
- KR Mangalam University (KRMU), Gurgaon
The scope and knowledge of an Ethical Hacker are distinguished and varied.
Get paid for ethically breaking into a system. Obtain all the certifications and qualifications required for an Ethical Hacker.
Enroll at a top college in Karnataka and tread an enormous career in this field.