"Never believe that animals suffer less than humans. Pain is the same for them that it is for us. Even worse, because they cannot help themselves."- Louis J. Camuti.
A career as a Veterinarian is where the love for animals meets professional medicine.
A Vet Doctor examines, treats, and cures several diseases in animals and birds. They have an eagle's eye, a lion's heart, and a lady's hand.
They are Specialists in performing surgeries, conducting lab analysis, and joining dislocation of patients who can't specify their problems.
If you love animals and have the drive to choose a career that is rewarding and satisfactory, then you must consider pursuing a career in this field by knowing how to become a Vet Doctor.
How to Become a Veterinary Doctor in India?
The process for becoming a Vet Doctor in India is broadly divided into 3 steps:
- Students must appear for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). They have to match the cut-offs to get admissions in top colleges.
- Candidates must complete their Bachelor's in Veterinary Science with a decent aggregate score.
- They must further pursue higher studies in their desired specialization to become a certified Vet Doctor.
To pursue a career as a Veterinarian, you need to understand the eligibility, qualification, and scope of Vet Doctor in India.
Let's look into the essential details on how to become a Veterinary Doctor in India.
How to Become a Veterinary Doctor After 10th:
Students passionate about animals in their high school often ask how to become a Veterinary Doctor after 10th. Here is what they must do.
- Candidates must pursue the science stream in class 12th with core subjects as Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- They must graduate from higher secondary education with a minimum aggregate score of 55% and pursue a Diploma or Bachelor's course to learn how to become an animal doctor.
How to Become a Veterinary Doctor after 12th?
Candidates can pursue Diploma and undergraduate Veterinary Science programs after their 12th.
Here is the required eligibility and a list of courses for students who want to familiarize themselves with how to become a Veterinary Doctor after 12th:
Eligibility for Veterinary Courses:
- Candidates must have completed Class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as core subjects with a minimum aggregate score of 55% for Diploma and 60% for Bachelor's course.
- The admissions are merit-based. Students are shortlisted based on the marks obtained in class 12th.
- Undergraduate Course:
- They must appear for NEET or other institutional exams and secure the required marks for admission.
- The admission process is based on merit and the entrance exam.
Veterinary Courses After Class 12th:
There are several courses with different specializations. Here is a list of veterinary courses on how to become a Vet Doctor:
The duration of the veterinary diploma courses is 1- 2 years. Following are those courses:
- Diploma in Veterinary Pharmacy
- Diploma in Veterinary Lab Technician
- Diploma in Animal Husbandry and Dairying
- Diploma in Veterinary Science and Animal Health Technology
The duration of the veterinary undergraduate courses is 5.5 years which includes 6 months to 1 year of mandatory internship. Following are those courses:
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Veterinary Pathology
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Veterinary Parasitology
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Animal Nutrition
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Animal Genetics & Breeding
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Animal Production & Management
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Veterinary Gynaecology & Obst.
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Veterinary Medicine
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) in Veterinary Microbiology
Students can further pursue Masters and Doctoral courses in Veterinary.
Scope of Vet Doctor in India:
The scope of a Vet Doctor is broad and varied. It offers various career options in various sectors
- They can work in the government sector such as veterinary hospitals, poultry farms, labs, animal product-based production plants, the disease eradication sector, etc.
- Students also work in the private sector such as pharmaceutical companies, commercial farms, NGOs, etc, or have their clinic.
- After pursuing higher studies, they can also contribute to the industry by researching various sectors as a Researcher or teach students as a Professor.
Salary of Vet Doctors:
The salary of Vet Doctors in India depends on experience, location, skillset, designation, initiative, and other factors.
The average starting salary in the private sector can range approximately between INR 1.8 to 2.4 Lakhs per annum.
The average starting salary in the government sector ranges between INR 3.6 to 6 Lakhs per annum.
Top 5 Colleges in Karnataka:
Here is a list of the top 5 veterinary colleges in Karnataka that offer high-quality education.
- Karnataka Veterinary Animal and Fisheries Sciences University (KVAFSU), Bidar:
KVAFSU is an autonomous institute established in 2004. The college imparts high standard education and provides a foundation for research in veterinary animal and fisheries sciences
- Veterinary College, Bangalore:
It is one of the renowned veterinary colleges in Karnataka. The college is affiliated with Mysore University and was established in 1958.
- Veterinary College, Shimoga:
The veterinary college was established in 2006 and has 17 teaching departments. It is known for its infrastructure spread across 172.18 acres and skilled faculty.
- Veterinary College Vidyanagar, Hassan:
Founded in 2007, the Veterinary college in Hassan is approved by the Veterinary Council of India (VCI) and affiliated with KVAFSU.
- Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology (KMIO), Bangalore:
KMIO is affiliated with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences. It is one of the popular choices as it offers PG Diploma courses in veterinary science.
Vet Doctors are wondrous as, unlike other physicians, they aren't told what the problem is. They figure it all out through their knowledge and skills.
Treating speechless animals is one of the noble jobs. As a Veterinary Doctor, you will experience eternal satisfaction when you help an animal or bird ease from the pain.
Now that you know how to become an animal doctor. Enroll in the top veterinary college in Bangalore, Karnataka and kickstart a valuable, rewarding, and much appreciated career.
Become the guardian of animals and birds and live a life feeling like the hero of the animal kingdom.