If you are interested in making people smile without any hesitation or dental pain, then you must pursue a career as a dentist.
Explore the educational specifications and scope of dentists abroad.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is a mandatory requirement to become a qualified practitioner and consultative specialist in dentistry.
BDS is a 5-year course that includes 1-year of a compulsory rotatory internship. The course includes various subjects like Dental Histology, Oral Pathology, Public Health Dentistry, Dental Hygiene, Gen Medicine Pedodontics, etc.
How to Become a Dentist?
Dentists take care of oral health, which indirectly impacts overall well-being. Do you want to know how to become a dentist?
Then, go through the points below and learn the qualifications to be a dentist.
- Students must pursue an undergraduate course in the field to begin their career as a dentist.
- They have to obtain a license to practice dentistry.
- Students can also go for a postgraduate course to obtain a specialized degree in:
- General Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Medicine and Radiology and more.
- They have to appear in the required entrance test such as NEET MDS and get into a top college to gain specialized knowledge and skills.
How to become a Dentist Abroad?
Pursuing dentistry abroad opens avenues for several growth opportunities in this field.
Few countries like Canada, the USA, Germany, Australia, etc., do not recognize BDS as an undergraduate course for becoming a dentist.
Students have to pursue degrees like Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD)/ Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or equivalent to seek higher education from some of the top foreign countries like the USA, Canada, etc. However, the curriculum for DDS and DMD is similar to BDS.
Nevertheless, the bright scope in dentistry abroad isn't unknown. It often leads the candidates to wonder how to become a dentist abroad.
Students should follow the below-mentioned procedure to understand how to go abroad after BDS:
- Research: Students must conduct thorough research about the country and universities from where they desire to pursue their higher studies.
- Entrance Test: Most countries require students from different nations to qualify in the entrance exam set by the board or university. Prepare for the entrance test, if required for admissions.
- Admissions: Enroll in one of the top colleges after fulfilling all the eligibility criteria and thread a career in dentistry.
You could also seek guidance from the top abroad education consultancy to understand how to go abroad after BDS and other related queries.
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as core subjects from a recognized board.
- They must have secured a minimum aggregate score of 55%.
The courses vary in different countries. For example, the US offers a Doctor of Dental Science (DDS), and the UK offers a Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS).
Other courses offered are DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine), B.Dent (Bachelor of Dentistry), etc.
Scope After BDS:
The scope after BDS is broad and bright in India and abroad. Students experience a financially rewarding career while practising a noble profession. Here are a few reasons that suggest the same:
- Higher Studies:
Students can pursue higher studies in India and abroad to have a successful career.
They can pursue masters and doctoral programs to understand and conduct research on several subjects like oral medicine & radiology, oral biology, oral & maxillofacial surgery, etc.
- Career Opportunities:
They get several job opportunities in government and public hospitals, or they can start their own private clinics.
Candidates experience a wide range of career opportunities and job roles like Dentists, Dental Assistants, Dental Hygienists, etc., based on their interest and skills.
- Interpersonal Skill Development:
Students undergo personal development as they upgrade in several skills like dexterity, concentration, attention to details, communication, serenity, problem-solving, etc.
These skills continue to grow as they study and practice dentistry as an occupation.
Now, more than ever, people are more aware of oral hygiene. It provides dentists with sustainability and substantial financial stability.
They are also not particular regarding a 9 to 5 shift. They have the flexibility to set up appointments and treat their patients as per their schedule.
- Overseas Opportunity:
BDS scope abroad is wider as there is a high demand for skilled and qualified dentists around the world. They can secure jobs in top countries with a higher payscale.
Candidates who pursue and practice dentistry abroad can make the best of their potential while exploring diverse cultures and the education system.
Top 5 Dental Colleges Abroad:
Here are the top 5 foreign dental colleges that will help you become a dentist with a detailed curriculum and knowledge-equipped faculty:
- University of Gothenburg, Sweden:
Established in 1891, the university is one of the top institutes that offer analysis-based education and advanced research in their degree courses.
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, United States:
The university has been engaging in high-level research, oral and craniofacial health care education, community services, and patient care for decades, making its students determined and skilled.
- University of Alberta, Canada:
Founded in 1908, the institute makes the students industry-ready. It consists of didactic courses and carries out independent research under supervision.
- James Cook University, Australia:
Students receive a clinical practice of over 2000 hours in the university. The institute focuses on providing precise skills and confidence when they graduate.
- King's College London, United Kingdom:
Dentistry in King's College is research-led and evidence-based. They have partnered with several top hospitals like the Guy's Hospital, St. Thomas Hospital, etc., to offer a dynamic pedagogy for this field.
BDS scope abroad is brighter as it gives better educational and career experience.
Drill into a career that provides both personal satisfaction and economical resistance by achieving the qualifications to be a dentist.
Place a crown on your academic certificates as you would on tooth filling by pursuing education from one of the top colleges.