Are you someone who is aspiring to become a Chartered Accountant (CA)? Are you looking for something to assist you in your entire CA journey?
Then you are on the correct blog. Here are some of the steps necessary to become a Chartered Accountant professional in India or abroad.
What is a Chartered Accountant?
Chartered Accountant (CA) is a worldwide professional designation given to accounting candidates. They receive certification from a statutory body that states they possess the necessary qualifications to take care of accounting and taxation.
Some tasks of a CA include:
- Auditing Financial Statements
- Maintaining Records of Investments
- Preparing and Reviewing Financial Documents
- Filing Corporate Tax Returns
- Financial Advising to Individuals or Organizations
Chartered Accountants are professionals qualified and capable of offering advisory services to their clients.
CA is one of the most reputed courses pursued by the commerce stream candidates after completing 12th Std. It is one of the highest paying career options in India.
How to Become a CA?
Candidates aspiring to become a CA must go through the eligibility criteria and check the requirements mentioned by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). The CA eligibility criteria are decided by the ICAI that assists in determining the profession in future of a Chartered Accountant.
Below mentioned are the 4 dominant steps on how to become a CA in India:
- Step 1: Registration for Chartered Accountant Foundation Course
- Step 2: Registration for the Intermediate Course
- Step 3: Enrollment for Articleship
- Step 4: Registration for CA Final Examination
Chartered Accountant Exams:
Many candidates wonder how to become a Chartered Accountant after 12th Std. To become a CA, they must appear and qualify for Chartered Accountant course exams conducted at multiple levels.
There are 3 examination levels conducted by the ICAI in India.
- Foundation Exam
- Intermediate Exam
- Final Exam
CA Foundation Course:
The Foundation course is an entry-level program offered by ICAI called Chartered Accountant Common Proficiency Test (CA-CPT).
Eligibility for Foundation Course:
- Candidates are eligible to register for Chartered Accountant Common Proficiency Test (CA-CPT) after class 10th. However, they can appear for the exam only after passing class 12th Std with complete coaching.
- Students from Commerce and Science stream can apply for CPT.
- Applying candidates must have pursued 10+2 or 12th Std from a recognized institute or university. They must have passed the Commerce stream program with 50% aggregate marks to be eligible for CPT.
- Candidates from other streams must score an aggregate of 55% excluding Mathematics and must have obtained 60% aggregate in 10+2 with Mathematics.
Steps on How to become a Chartered Accountant after 12th:
- Candidates must begin with enrolling in courses for CA Foundation.
- They must complete a 4-month study period program and appear for the CA Foundation Examination.
- After clearing the CA foundation, candidates must enroll into CA Intermediate Course.
- Candidates must complete the Integrated Course before the Articleship.
- They must complete an 8-month study course of CA Intermediate and appear for the two groups of exams. (Candidates must pass at least once before moving forward).
- They must join 3-year article training and clear the remaining group of CA Intermediate Exam (if there's any).
- Enroll for the CA Final Course.
- They must complete the Advanced Integrated Course before appearing for the final exam.
- They must appear for the final exam either after completing the Articleship or during its last six months.
- Candidates must clear the CA Final Examination.
- Students must enroll as a member of the ICAI to be designated as a "Chartered Accountant".
Candidates can enroll directly into the CA Intermediate Course if they fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- They must have completed a UG Commerce program with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks from a recognized institute or university.
- Non-Commerce students can get admission to the course if they have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in UG from a recognized institute.
Why Study a Chartered Accountant Course?
There are multiple reasons for candidates to study a Chartered Accountant course. CA is a unique profession with various advantages attached to it.
Below mentioned are some of the main motives and scope to pursue CA course:
- CA professionals are demanded highly by multiple organizations that include Banks, Corporates, Financial Organizations, etc.
- After completing CA, candidates can also begin their own firm that provides auditing services to clients or any individual.
- CA is a respectable profession, where they can earn a handsome salary ranging between Rs. 4,00,00 PA to Rs. 10,00,000 PA.
- Gaining experience may result in high returns depending on the skills.
- After completing courses for CA, candidates can either work under government, private sectors or begin a CA startup.
Salary of a Chartered Accountant in India:
The average salary offered for a Chartered Accountant in India is Rs. 8,00,399 PA. The payroll of any candidate will increase based on their experience in the field.
List of Top 7 CA Colleges in Karnataka:
Below mentioned are the top Colleges in Karnataka to kickstart your journey in becoming a CA:
|Top CA Colleges ||Courses Offered|
|Christ University ||B.Com Finance and Accounting (CA Partially Integrated)|
|Jain University ||B.Com Coaching in Chartered Accountant and Certified Program in General Management|
|Kristu Jayanti College ||B.Com Professional (Special impetus for CA and CS)?|
|Jyoti Nivas College ||B.Com-Professional (ACCA/ CMA/ CA/ CS)|
|Dayananda Sagar University ||B.Com - With CA Coaching|
|CMR Institute of Management Studies||B.Com and BBA with approved CA CPT Coaching|
|Christ Academy Institute for Advanced Studies||B.Com with CA|
Now that you know how to become a Chartered Accountant in India, start your CA career from the top academic institutes in Karnataka. Tally and Audit your skills to become a well-known and deserving Chartered Accountant.