The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is the primary investigation body of the Government of India. A CBI officer conducts investigation and prosecution of various complicated cases and prevents fraudulent activities and corruption.
A CBI officer helps in maintaining the integrity in administration, examines economic offences and maintains crime statistics. This promising yet challenging career is a dream job for many central government job aspirants.
Here we are providing you with all the information like how to join CBI after 12th standard and guidelines about the CBI entrance exam, scope and salary of a CBI officer and other details for conquering this prestigious career path.
How to Join CBI after 12th standard?
This is a baffling question many students face during the course of their school days. But little did they know that the basic qualification to become a CBI officer is graduation in any stream from a recognized university.
So, just the completion of 12th std is not enough to apply for this post.
CBI Officer Qualifications:
There are certain sets of eligibility criteria deemed as qualifications to become an Officer in the CBI. Only the candidates fulfilling those CBI requirements are eligible for this post.
Following are the pointers considered as CBI Officer qualifications:
- The candidate should complete their graduation with a minimum of 50% from a recognized institution.
- Minimum age for applying is 20 years.
- Age limit for General Category candidates is 30 years. Extension of 3 years is provided to OBC candidates and 5 years to SC/ ST candidates.
- Physical fitness is another CBI requirement that is mandatory for candidates. Following are the parameters:
- The minimum height of male candidates should be 165 cm and for female candidates, it is 150 cm.
- Chest measurement for male candidates should be 76 cms.
- The eyesight of the candidates should be exceptional. The required parameters for eyesight (with or without glasses) are:
- Distant Vision: 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other eye
- Near Vision: 0.6 in one eye and 0.8 in the other eye
Skills required to become a CBI Officer:
Some of the vital qualities for a CBI Officer are given below.
- Keen observation powers
- Analytical mind
- Ability to handle work pressure
- High levels of concentration
- Readiness to travel as and when required
- Ability to work longer hours
- Good stamina
- Mental and physical fitness
Duties of a CBI Officer:
The CBI Officers follow the motto "Industry, Impartiality and Integrity" throughout their careers. Following are the numerous responsibilities a CBI officer has to carry out during his term.
- Tackle high profile crimes
- Investigate Officers
- Help in investigating Cyber and IT crimes
- Protect environment, art, culture and our cultural heritage
- Ensure a healthy environment and prevent corruption
- Handle special and financial cases of central institutions
- Ensure impartial deliverance of fundamental rights
- Curb economic and heinous crimes
How to Become a CBI Officer in India?
There is more than one way to become a CBI officer in India. Two agencies recruit candidates for CBI jobs, which are UPSC and SSC.
Joining through UPSC:
Candidates have to become an IPS Officer by clearing the Civil Service Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). After clearing the subsequent rounds, they can qualify to become a Group A Officer in CBI.
The Civil Service Examination consists of 3 stages:
- Preliminary Exam (Objective-type)
- Mains Exam (Descriptive-type)
- Personal Interview.
Joining through SSC:
Candidates can become a CBI Sub-Inspector by clearing the CBI Entrance Exam or the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam conducted by Staff Selection Commission (SSC). It consists of the following 4 tiers:
- Tier 1 (Computer-based Objective Exam)
- Tier 2 (Computer-based Objective Exam)
- Tier 3 (Written Descriptive Exam)
- Tier 4 (Computer Proficiency Test/ Document Verification)
After the completion of these 4 tiers of the SSC CGL exam, you can join CBI as a Sub-Inspector.
CBI Career Scope:
CBI Officers can don a wide range of hats in a field that provides immense opportunities and promotional scope. Following are the various roles an aspirant can attain after bagging CBI jobs in India:
- Special Director
- Additional Director
- Joint Director
- Administration Officer
- Superintendent of Police
- Deputy Inspector General of Police
- Additional Legal Advisor
- Public Prosecutor
- Senior Advisor
- Technical Advisor
Some of the perks and allowances a CBI officer enjoys are:
- Transport and Petrol Allowance
- Allowance on House Rent
- High Social Stature and Reputation
CBI Officer Salary:
CBI careers offer handsome salaries along with other allowances and perks for its candidates. CBI Officer salary ranges between INR 44,000 and INR 1,42,400 per month.
The highest post a CBI Officer can get is the rank of DGP (Director General of Police), whose salary scale can reach up to INR 2,25,000 per month.
The job role of a CBI Officer is not a walk in the park. Aspirants require consistent learning throughout their career and they should be prepared to accept challenges without hesitation.
Candidates who are willing to be brave and dedicated can strive to become CBI Officers in India. With perseverance and hard work, you too can achieve the dream of becoming a CBI Officer.