Here's everything that you should know about a medical discipline that will enable you to put the patients to snooze while letting your work satisfaction ooze.
During a medical procedure, numbing is just as important as treating and healing. It is a soundless, initial, and one of the most vital steps of medical surgery.
With the appropriate dosage and technique of anesthesia, the control of lost senses can be achieved and monitored.
Oliver Wendell Holmes coined the word "Anesthesia" in 1846. It comes from the Greek word 'anaisthetos', which means 'without sensation'.
It helps in controlling several characteristics like blood pressure, breathing, blood flow, heart rate and acts as a significant aid to doctors for expediting and focusing on the medical procedure.
The market for anesthesia graduates is expected to grow by 15.5% in the next 5 years. The field offers attractive remuneration and gratification.
Delve in the blog to explore the undergraduate course in anesthesia. Kickstart a lucrative career as an Anesthesia technologist by pursuing the course after class 12th.
What is B.Sc Anesthesia Technology?
The course is a study and training of equipment, agents, dosage and techniques of anesthesia. It emphasizes various subjects like Anesthesia Technology, Medical Technology, Procedures and Fundamentals of Operation Theatre.
Students acquire all the requisite knowledge and skill regarding the procedures of anaesthetic treatment for a patient. They work as an allied health professional and gain expertise to assist a doctor in ICUs, emergency wards, operation theatre, etc.
The duration of the course is 3 years. It imparts knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of anesthesia technology.
The course offers several specializations like:
- Critical Care Anaesthesia
- Cardiothoracic Anesthesia
- Neurosurgical Anesthesia
- Pediatric Anesthesia
- Hospice and Palliative Anesthesia
- Orthopedic Anesthesia
- Obstetric Anesthesia
Eligibility for B.Sc Anesthesia Technology:
Candidates need to match the below qualification to pursue the course:
- They must have completed 10+2 or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as core subjects from a recognized board.
- Students must secure a minimum aggregate score of 45% in their higher secondary education.
- The admission process for the course is based on merit. Aspirants have to meet the required cut-off of their preferred college.
B.Sc Anesthesia Syllabus:
The core syllabus for anesthesia courses is as follows:
|Pathology (Clinical Pathology, Hematology & Blood Banking)||Microbiology|
|Introduction to Anesthesia Technology||Medicine relevant to Anesthesia Technology|
|Applied Pathology||Applied Pharmacology|
|Anesthesia Technology- Clinical||Anesthesia Technology- Applied|
|Anesthesia Technology- Advanced||-|
Other B.Sc Anesthesia Technology Subjects:
A few subsidiary subjects under the anesthesia course are:
- Hospital Posting
- Ethics & Database Management
- Computer Application
- Environmental Science and Health
- Research and Biostatistics
B.Sc Anesthesia Course Fees:
The fee for the course is not high. The approximate B.Sc Anesthesia course fees for government colleges is in the range of INR 15,000 to 35,000. For private colleges, it's in the range of INR 20,000 to 3,50,000.
B.Sc Anesthesia Scope:
The B.Sc Anesthesia scope is broad and varied. Here are the top 4 reasons that suggest the same:
- High Demand: A study by RAND Corporation showed that there will be a huge shortage of Anesthesia Technicians in the coming years. The gap is assumed to grow, and the demand is bound to rise, hence creating immense opportunities.
- Boundless learning: Students are not constrained to anesthesia technology, they learn several other subjects under the course and attain practical training for the same.
- Varied job opportunities: After graduating, students can work in government or private hospitals, clinics, colleges and research centres under several job roles.
- Integral Part of Medical Surgeries: Graduates play the initial and essential part during surgeries. They assist with both technical and practical aspects of the operation theatre.
Eligible candidates are offered top job roles in the healthcare industry. Here are some of the top job profiles:
- Anesthesia Technician
- Physician Anesthesiologist
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- General Anaesthetists
- Nurse Anaesthetist
- Medical Consultant
- Anesthesiology Physician
- Anesthesia Technologist
- Professor/ Lecturer
B.Sc Anesthesia Salary in India:
After graduating with an undergraduate course in anesthesia, candidates get numerous lucrative jobs in the healthcare sector.
The average annual starting B.Sc Anesthesia salary in India for qualified professionals is in the range of INR 2,40,000 to 3,60,000. The pay scale depends on knowledge, skill, designation, experience and several other factors.
Top Colleges for B.Sc Anesthesia in Bangalore:
Here is a list of top 7 colleges in Bangalore that offer a comprehensive pedagogy for B.Sc Anesthesia syllabus:
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre
- Jain (Deemed-to-be) University
- Acharya Institute of Allied Health Sciences
- Rajarajeshwari Institute of Allied Health Sciences
- BGS Global Institute of Medical Sciences
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre
B.Sc Anesthesia Technology is a highly technological, medicative and specialized course. It deals with one of the most vital functions of numbing or relaxing the muscles during an operation, surgery or medical treatment.
Pursue a career in the medical field that is both economically and personally rewarding by enrolling in a B.Sc Anesthesia Technology course.
Seek admissions at a top college in Bangalore and make the most of your potential with high-quality education and excellent guidance.