To grab attention, this is what you catch,
Sits in a socket without a plug attached
Aren't the same but, they seem to match
A pirate might have covered one with a patch.
Not making sense?
It should, because it's one of the basic 5.
The answer is the EYE.
Around 80% of all the ideas we perceive are through our vision. A larger part of our brain is dedicated to the visual system than to other senses combined.
A substantial portion of what we do in our daily lives is dependent on screens. Thus, our eyes need inspection and care, which contributes to the high scope in the field of Optometry.
Experts predict that the need for professionals in the sector will increase in the coming decades. The growth is expected to be 4%, which is about as fast as the average of all occupations.
Pursue an undergraduate course in Optometry and experience a rewarding and gratifying career.
What is a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Optometry Course?
The course is the study of the structure and system of the human eye along with its related organs. It provides comprehensive medical knowledge and training related to the optic.
Students gain thorough knowledge about the highly developed sensory organ by studying various subjects like Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Biochemistry, Ophthalmic Optics, Microbiology, Clinical Optometry, Contact Lens, etc.
The duration of the B.Sc Optometry course is 3 to 4 years. The colleges that offer a 4 year course include a mandatory internship of 1 year.
The approximate annual course fee is in the range of INR 10,000 to 1,00,000.
Eligibility for B.Sc Optometry:
Students who aspire to seek admission in one of the top B.Sc Optometry colleges have to meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 in the science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Mathematics as core subjects from a recognized board.
- They must secure a minimum aggregate score of 50% in their higher secondary education.
- Students applying for the course should be 17 years old or more at the time of admission.
- The admissions are based on merit. Some institutes may conduct an entrance exam.
B.Sc Optometry Syllabus:
The curriculum for the B.Sc Optometry course is divided into 6 semesters. Below is the list of subjects in each semester.
|Basic Accountancy||Basic Computers|
|Community and Occupational Optometry||Clinical Psychology|
|Functional English and Communication||General Biochemistry & Ocular Biochemistry|
|Contact Lens||Geriatric Optometry and Paediatric Optometry|
|Hospital Procedures||General Anatomy and Ocular Anatomy|
|Geometrical Optics||General Physiology and Ocular Physiology|
|Nutrition||Low Vision Aids|
|Pharmacology||Pathology & Microbiology|
|Ocular Diseases and Eye & Systemic Diseases||Optometric Instruments and Clinical Examination of Visual System|
|Optometric and Dispensing Optics||-|
|Physical Optics||Visual Optics|
|Squint and Binocular Vision||Public Relations|
|Research Methodology and Statistics||-|
B.Sc Optometry Colleges in India:
Several top colleges across India offer courses in Optometry. Following is the list of top 7 colleges that provided high-quality learning for the B.Sc Optometry syllabus based on theory and practicals:
- Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad
- Centurion University of Technology and Management, Bhubaneswar
- JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
- M. S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences (MSRUAS), Bangalore
- Siksha 'O' Anusandhan University (SOA), Bhubaneswar
- Yenepoya University, Mangalore
- RR Institutions, Bangalore
Scope in Optometry:
The scope in optometry is bright and varied. Here are the top 5 reasons that suggest the same:
- Higher Studies: Students can opt for high studies by pursuing an M.Sc and Ph.D program in the related field to gain more knowledge and conduct research.
- Several Recruiting Areas: A variety of job areas hire optometry professionals. They are MNCs in eye care products, contact and ophthalmic lens industry, optical showrooms, lens production systems, etc. Students can also own a private clinic or work as a researcher.
- Sustainability: The ageing population and the extensive use of electronics by individuals contribute to the sustainability and demand of a specialist in the optometry field.
- Interpersonal Development: Students experience a dynamic and challenging job where they learn and enhance several skills like communication, accuracy, efficiency and many more.
- Job Satisfaction: A job in optometry provides flexibility as professionals can work part-time or full-time. They also experience gratification as patients enjoy enhanced vision.
Optometry Job Roles:
Following are some of the top job profiles offered to students after graduating with an optometry course:
- Sales Executive
Optometry Salary Scale :
The average annual salary of optometry professionals is in the range of INR 2,50,000 to 8,00,000.
The salary depends and enhances based on several factors like skills, knowledge, designation, experience, etc.
Pursue a career in the medical field that provides job satisfaction and good quality of life.
Experience a work profession that offers various job opportunities, gratification, high scope and everything best as you make people go through the Snellen test.
Enroll in one of the top colleges in India to pursue B.Sc Optometry and see a clear path for a spec-tacular career.